DHCP, RedHat 8.0 and custom kernel

Post by shan » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:07:10

I recently installed RH 8.0 and copied my 2.4.19 kernel (src and
config) over from my 7.3 install (same machine). After trying to just
install the modules and use the original image, I decided to do a
complete re-compile with the original configuration (the original
didnt have ext3 support).

Other than adding ext3 support, I made no other changes to the
configuration, but for some reason eth0 doesn't get an IP through
DHCP, but it did when I was using it on 7.3, and it does with the
stock RH8 2.4.18 kernel.

I dont have 'packet socket' and 'socket filtering' configured, which I
think it may need, but the strange thing is it worked fine when I was
using it with 7.3. Is there anything else which may be preventing DHCP
from working properly under RH8 when it worked fine it RH7.3?

DHCP, RedHat 8.0 and custom kernel

Post by Philip Burro » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 00:38:58

Quote:> I dont have 'packet socket' and 'socket filtering' configured, which I
> think it may need, but the strange thing is it worked fine when I was
> using it with 7.3. Is there anything else which may be preventing DHCP
> from working properly under RH8 when it worked fine it RH7.3?

You need packet socket and socket filtering compiled in or as modules. If as
modules, make sure you load them before you bring your network up.

Just compile it straight in and see if it fixes it.

Phil.

1. Audigy Soundcard on Redhat 8.0/Custom Kernel 2.4.20

In order to fix another problem I was having, I downloaded and
compiled version 2.4.20 of the linux kernel to install on my Redhat
8.0 machine.  I used the redhat distribution config files as the
baseline for my kernel configuration.  Unfortunately, after
compilation and installation of the new kernel, my sound card(a
Creative Soundblaster Audigy) does not work.  I have already tried
downloading, compiling and installing the latest emu10k1-v0.20a
drivers from sourceforge.  Does anyone know what options, etc that I
have to enable in order to get the correct drivers for the Audigy.  I
noticed that the Redhat kernels on my machine contain an audigy
directory

/lib/modules/2.4.18-17.8.0/kernel/drivers/sound
/kernel/drivers/sound

However, I don't have an audigy directory(with the audigy.o) file in
the aforementioned directory.  Does anyone know how I can resolve this
issue.

Thanks-
Rodney

2. Rogues gallery of odditie

3. RedHat 8.0 DHCP Failed w/ AT&T Cable Modem

4. linux not find cdrom on SCSI future domain ...

5. DNS Problems on RedHat 8.0: Linux client, Windows DHCP server

6. sco-list: popassd

7. installing custom kernel on redhat

8. Problems with Intel CC820 motherboard and SIO

9. USB Mouse will not work with custom kernel in Redhat 8

10. re-exporting smb mounted filesystems from Redhat linux 8.0 to Solaris 8.0

11. Custom kernel build fails on RedHat 7.1

12. Q: using custom kernel for redhat 5.1 install

13. REDHAT 6, cant get custom Kernel 2.2.6 to boot...