NFS Probs w/ Linux and TROPIC NFS server for WFW

NFS Probs w/ Linux and TROPIC NFS server for WFW

Post by Markus Kniew » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some problems while trying to mount filesystems
exported by the TROPIC NFS server for Windows for Workgroups.
Linux will mount the exported directories but fails doing "ls" (Error
message is "memory exhausted") In the file list box of XV the file
count is 4096, although there should be only about 15 files. The first
file of the source directory is displayed repeatedly about 4000 times,
then the other files are shown. XV can't read the shown files.

The whole thing works fine on SUNs and on PCs running XFS NFS client,
so I assume a malconfiguration of the mount command on the LINUX side.
I've tried literally everything, but I can't get it to work.

I'm running LINUX kernel 1.2.13 installed from S.U.S.E. distribution,
and TROPIC NFS server V1.0. Everything else is fine, no problems,
except for Linux NFS in general seems to be beta state.

Any help from netland would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Markus

NFS Probs w/ Linux and TROPIC NFS server for WFW

Post by Gregory Philli » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Are you perhaps trying to share a CD drive from the Windows end?  I found that
some CD's are mastered wrong and when I tried to mount them from the linux end
they would only show partial file trees.  Commands directed to a specific file
would however work.  Since ls asked for the full list of files it and programs
like it would fail.

I haven't used Tropic for a while, I finally just added another partion to the
linux box and installed WFW. now it's easy to put files on the linux box and,
since Linux can "see" dos partitions, easy to get them from linux.

NFS Probs w/ Linux and TROPIC NFS server for WFW

Post by Steve Radic » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

The newer kernels support SMB which is what Win doze speaks natively --
you will find that MUCH faster than running NFS server on the Windows
box.

--
**********

CGI Programming Consultant, Relational Database Administration /
Application Programming, and Internet Connectivity... Call

Developper of the most flexible HTML to E-MAIL gateway software:
http://www.bitshop.com/software/index.html

1. Linux NFS w/ Winsock Tropic NFS

Hi,

Has anyone gotten NFS working between a Linux system running the client and
the server on a Windows machine running Trumpet Winsock and Tropic NFS?

I've tried, and I can get a directory to mount, but as soon as I try to 'ls'
the directory from the client (Linux) machine, the ls command never returns,
and the client's hard drive thrashes madly until I kill  the ls.

I'm running:

Slackware 2.3 distribution
Mount command: mount -t nfs -o rsize=1024,wsize=1024 parrot:/c /mnt/parrot_c

The other machine:

Windoze 3.1
Trumpet Winsock 2.1d
Tropic NFS server 1.0

I can sucessfully NFS mount wuarchive on the Linux machine, and can FTP and
telnet between the Windows and Linux machines, so networking appears to be
configured correctly.

-Ron Menelli

2. Ethernet card driver

3. Tropic NFS Server for Windows - Linux Mount Problem

4. Kernel Compile: (Never Mind)

5. Any Share/Free-ware WFW NFS server progs?

6. please read : my compilation adds

7. linux NFS server problem - can't ls in the NFS mounted directory.

8. ps question

9. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

10. trouble mount nfs share from linux nfs server, protocol not supported

11. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

12. NFS Input/output error with linux user space nfs server

13. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.