win-98 > FTP > Linux rh 5.1

Post by Atha » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I can telnet to my box for telnet only with a user name
different then root but I can't ftp to the linux box

C:\>ftp
ftp> open
To X.100.100.2
Connected to X.100.100.2.
Connection closed by remote host.
ftp> open
To X.100.100.2
Connected to X.100.100.2.
Connection closed by remote host.
ftp>

What should I change ??

Thank you
Athan
PS i have added my win98 box in /etc/hosts

win-98 > FTP > Linux rh 5.1

Post by greyma » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You need to allow ftp access.

If you are using the inetd superserver, then check the /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny files. In these you can specify things like:

    in.telnetd:    203.46.81.128/255.255.255.192
    in.ftpd:         ALL

    ALL:            203.46.81.128/255.255.255.192
    ALL:            ALL

Otherwise, you also need to set the /etc/ftp* files.
/etc/ftpusers - usernames that are not allowed to login
/etc/ftphosts - access rules for hosts attempting to login
/etc/ftpaccess - rules about what can be done.

These are the main two. Check out the man pages for ftpaccess, ftphosts for
more detail.

Greyman

>I can telnet to my box for telnet only with a user name
>different then root but I can't ftp to the linux box

>C:\>ftp
>ftp> open
>To X.100.100.2
>Connected to X.100.100.2.
>Connection closed by remote host.
>ftp> open
>To X.100.100.2
>Connected to X.100.100.2.
>Connection closed by remote host.
>ftp>

>What should I change ??

>Thank you
>Athan
>PS i have added my win98 box in /etc/hosts

win-98 > FTP > Linux rh 5.1

Post by Atha » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thank you

Athan

> You need to allow ftp access.

> If you are using the inetd superserver, then check the /etc/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny files. In these you can specify things like:

>     in.telnetd:    203.46.81.128/255.255.255.192
>     in.ftpd:         ALL

>     ALL:            203.46.81.128/255.255.255.192
>     ALL:            ALL

> Otherwise, you also need to set the /etc/ftp* files.
> /etc/ftpusers - usernames that are not allowed to login
> /etc/ftphosts - access rules for hosts attempting to login
> /etc/ftpaccess - rules about what can be done.

> These are the main two. Check out the man pages for ftpaccess, ftphosts for
> more detail.

> Greyman

> >I can telnet to my box for telnet only with a user name
> >different then root but I can't ftp to the linux box

> >C:\>ftp
> >ftp> open
> >To X.100.100.2
> >Connected to X.100.100.2.
> >Connection closed by remote host.
> >ftp> open
> >To X.100.100.2
> >Connected to X.100.100.2.
> >Connection closed by remote host.
> >ftp>

> >What should I change ??

> >Thank you
> >Athan
> >PS i have added my win98 box in /etc/hosts

win-98 > FTP > Linux rh 5.1

Post by Wiwat Wongkoku » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You should do like this

C:\>ftp
ftp>open <your host name or IP address>

Good luck

>I can telnet to my box for telnet only with a user name
>different then root but I can't ftp to the linux box

>C:\>ftp
>ftp> open
>To X.100.100.2
>Connected to X.100.100.2.
>Connection closed by remote host.
>ftp> open
>To X.100.100.2
>Connected to X.100.100.2.
>Connection closed by remote host.
>ftp>

>What should I change ??

>Thank you
>Athan
>PS i have added my win98 box in /etc/hosts

1. FTP problem: linux>>win/SGI slow win/SGI>>linux fast

The machine is on a Novell 4.2 network and uses an Intel
Ether Express 16 card. It is possible to be on another
machine and transfer a file FROM the linux box at a rate of
about 600kB/s.
However, transferring to the linux machine gives rates of
about 18kB/s.  Similarly if one is
on the Linux box using ftp, transfer both from and
to another machine and
from another machine is slow - around 18Kb / sec.

It is a dual boot system - when tranferring/receiving files
using windoze ftp (QVFTP or WS_FTP) the transfer rates in
both direction are 600kB/s.

At installation time, linux was set up to use the
'eexpress' driver and the bootp protocol.

There are no packet overflows, packets lost or errors generally.

Visualising the transfer using the 'hash' function of ftp
shows that transfer progresses at the expected speed for
10-30kB, then stalls or slows down to a snail pace, then
starts again, slow, stall, slow, etc...

I have tried
- explicitly stating the IRQ=10, I/O base address 0x300
- turning on/off IPX
- making the MTU smaller
- manually configuring (i.e no bootp) the ip address etc.
- playing with the routing window as suggested in the
HOWTO-Ethernet file.

The only effect I have been able to achieve is a reduction
in performance to 13kB/s.

Checking usenet a number of people seem to have had a
similar problem but no relevant solutions suggested.  One
person claimed they started having this problem when
they upgraded their motherboard.

I have no idea what to do next... help...

2. Sunlink DNI 7.0 to DNI 8.0 port problems

3. HELP: Linux -> Win 98 -> Internet

4. Printing Man Pages

5. FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

6. Problem installing PLug-and-play

7. RH 5.1 -> PPP -> WinNT

8. Physical vs. virtual memory allocation.

9. 98 -> Linux -> internet ipchains worked so well

10. Windows95,98,NT-->Linux-->Internet routing problems

11. Connecting Win 98 <---> Linux ??

12. <><><> MOUNTING EXTENDED PARTITION <><><>

13. Win 98 PCMCIA -> Linux no more PCMCIA...