DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Tais M. Hanse » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
descriptions on the hardware needed?

Thanks in advance!
- Tais M. Hansen, MSB International A/S

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Jan Johansso » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
>descriptions on the hardware needed?

A modem, a com-port and mgetty (thats all you need). if you want to get
* i recommend www.equinox.com

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by j.. » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

am Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:17:35 +0200 in comp.os.linux.networking:

Quote:>>Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
>>descriptions on the hardware needed?

JJ> A modem, a com-port and mgetty (thats all you need). if you want to get
JJ> * i recommend www.equinox.com

Perhaps a supported ISDN Card and a proper setup.

mfG
        J. Sauer

- Professionelle Linux Server, Professioneller Support und Dienstleistungen ---
- AutomatiX GmbH  - Vollautomatische Kransteuerungen & SAP f?higes Lagerger?t -

- +49 4209-4699 +49 172-5466499  FAX  +49 4209 4644  http://www.veryComputer.com/  -

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Matt Graha » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Look at this URL...

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

>Hi!

>Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
>descriptions on the hardware needed?

>Thanks in advance!
>- Tais M. Hansen, MSB International A/S

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Tais M. Hanse » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I can see I wasn't specific enough! :) ... I need to handle about 30
ISDN b-channels...

> >Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
> >descriptions on the hardware needed?

> A modem, a com-port and mgetty (thats all you need). if you want to get
> * i recommend www.equinox.com

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Tais M. Hanse » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, but it only describes a dialin server using serialports and
modems... I need something bigger! :)

> Look at this URL...

> http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

> >Does anyone have a detailed guide on making a dialin server including
> >descriptions on the hardware needed?

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Bill Pit » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I can see I wasn't specific enough! :) ... I need to handle about 30
> ISDN b-channels...

EEEEE..... head on over to http://www.livingston.com/ and buy a portmaster.
Linux works great for a smaller (5-10 ports) RAS, but when you get more
than that with Digital, it's much easier (and more economical) to setup
a Lucent box.

If you were to setup individual ISDN modems, you'd have to buy tons of
BRI lines for it.  It might be economical for what you're doing, but the
Lucent boxes are ROCK solid, and the big advantage is that they remain
seperate from your Linux box.  We've had the PM3 running for 3 years
now and it hasn't had a problem once.

-Bill
--

Silicon Valley North, Inc.                                www.svn.net
Internet and World Wide Web Services                   (707) 781-9999

DialIN & Required hardware

Post by Jonathan Guthri » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> I can see I wasn't specific enough! :) ... I need to handle about 30
>> ISDN b-channels...
> EEEEE..... head on over to http://www.livingston.com/ and buy a portmaster.
> Linux works great for a smaller (5-10 ports) RAS, but when you get more
> than that with Digital, it's much easier (and more economical) to setup
> a Lucent box.

I don't know about Mr. Hansen, but I don't buy Lucent products.  Ever.  I
stopped buying Ascend stuff because Ascend was bought by Lucent.  This is
because I gave them my email address on a questionnaire once, and they
subscribed me to a ton of mailing lists.  Any company that can afford to
employ people that clueless doesn't need any of my money.

If you want to set up more than a half-dozen B-channels, you really need
to find out what the telephone company can do to help you.  Frankly, it is
in their best interest and yours to deliver the stuff over the densest
line possible.

Since an European PRI has 31 B-channels, and assuming you can get a
flat-rate PRI service, it should be a lot more cost-effective to buy one
PRI than 16 BRIs.  (Here in Houston, you can't get flat-rate outgoing
calls on PRI's, but for incoming calls, a PRI has 23 B-channels at about
$500 per month as opposed to a BRI with 2 B-channels at about $70 per
month.)

Note that it's the PRI part that's important, not whether you're feeding a
(Lucent nee Livingston) PM-4, a (Cisco) AS-5300, a Max-6000, or something
Linux based.  There are a number of companies that sell high-speed
telephone interfaces with Linux drivers.

One that I know in particular is a company called Ariel
(http://www.ariel.com, I believe, their page requires frames and
Javascript and, therefore, it displays precisely nothing when I try to
view it with Lynx) who produces a PRI interface with modems and Linux
drivers.  I know that it works with US PRI's (23 B-channels) but I don't
know about European PRI's.  Perhaps Mr. Hansen can ask them.
--

Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/
12703 Veterans Memorial #106, Houston, TX  77014, USA

1. **Hardware & software Required by SLIP

Hi,

I am looking to connect an AIX-LAN  located
Two New York city blocks apart. I would like
to have this connection done via telephone line
I am interested in connecting them through modem.
I want to have, full high function terminal
capability.  Therefor I would like
Slip running on the AIX, I hear
it already comes equiped with it, if so what
should I do to make this possible.

RS\6000 MODELS: 530 560 540
AIX VERSION: 3.2

My question pertains to the kind of hardware
we should be purchasing, and the Software I
will be needing.

voice: 212 447-3047

2. pthread problems

3. Dialin - requires manual

4. g++ -lnsl ==> Undefined symbol __inet_addr

5. PPP Dialin & Routing & '95

6. Modelines for Hitachi Superscan Elite 753?

7. hardware req for dialin box

8. problems compiling/making NCSA httpd

9. AT&T vs. BSDI --> 4.3BSD-NET2 distribution requires AT&T license!!!

10. Buggy hardware in linux & failed hardware in Win'95

11. mgetty / AutoPPP Win95 dialin ok, linux dialin NG!