HELP: NFS mount returns "Program not registered".

HELP: NFS mount returns "Program not registered".

Post by Pavel Louza » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've got 2 boxes running RedHat 4.1 (kernel 2.0.28), both have
nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 installed,
nfsd & mountd running.
I want to export some directory from one machine to another.
This directory is listed in /etc/exports, the host to be exported to is
in /etc/hosts.allow
But when I issue

it says:
RPC: clntudp_create: Program not registered.

Changing  host1 into client & host2 into server makes no difference --
the same message, although
each of these machines can successfully export this directory to itself,
that is

Could anyone help me? Thank you.

Pavel Louzan

Post by Pat Thoyt » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've got 2 boxes running RedHat 4.1 (kernel 2.0.28), both have
> nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 installed,
> nfsd & mountd running.
> I want to export some directory from one machine to another.
> This directory is listed in /etc/exports, the host to be exported to is
> in /etc/hosts.allow
> But when I issue

> it says:
> RPC: clntudp_create: Program not registered.

This is RPC's cryptic way of saying that you don't have permission to
access the portmap daemon port. Look in /etc/hosts.(allow|deny) and make
sure your mounting host has access to the exporting host. eg:
/etc/hosts.allow:
portmap: diskless.host local.net/netmask 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

You can check this using tcpdmatch

tcpdmatch portmap disk.less.host

--
Pat Thoyts                          Remove anti-spam from address to
reply.

1. NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

        Hello,

        I have two Red Hat Linux systems.  One (call it A) runs 5.2, and I
just upgraded the other one (call it B) from 4 to 6.2.  Each of the two
systems exports a directory, via NFS, to the other.  As soon as I upgraded
B to 6.2, A can no longer mount B's exported directory via NFS.  When I
try "mount -t nfs ...", I get the error message "Mount: RPC: program not
registered".  Computer B has no problem getting A's exported directory via
NFS, however.

        I've looked through all the FAQs and articles I could find on
this, with not much luck.  The best I could find is that it's something
with portmap and hosts.allow / deny, but I don't know just what to do with
them.  If any of you can offer me any help, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!

--Michael Tsurikov
UT Austin Dept. of Aerospace Engineering

2. Support for COFF

3. Cygwin bash "id -un" returns "Administrator" when I'm not

4. ANNOUNCE: Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To

5. startx returns errors "Not a declared device" or "Chipset string expected"

6. Delete files under linux???

8. Memory Leak in XFree86 ?

9. showmount says "RPC: Program not registered"

10. Error: "RPC: Program not registered"

11. Openwindows filemgr give "rpc : program not registered" message

12. Networking problems, "RPC: program not registered"?

13. Help: use SED to move or replace "New-line" & "return" char