ethernet cards installation configuration problem slack 10.2

ethernet cards installation configuration problem slack 10.2

Post by Sakkath » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:26:24

Hi group,

I am harsha, please bare with me i am new to this group

I am trying to configure my slack 10.2 box to support 2 ethernet cards,

the two cards are:

sis900C      => using driver sis900 [built in to the mother board]
realtek 8139 => using driver 8139too

kinfocenter (hardware browser) listed both the cards.

I connected the network cable to sis900 and did netconfig, assigned IP
192.168.1.11 to sis900
        netconfig din;t prompt for configuration of second ethernet
card ie.,
realtek??
        ifconfig command displayed configurations for only sis9000
        I tried to ping sis900 from an other system - it said time out

I manually added eth1 and assigned IP 192.168.1.12

        then I connected the cable to realtek card and tried to ping
        both the cards were pinging

I did netconfig(with cable connected to eth1)
        both the cards doesn't ping

after manually adding eth1

        I did ifconfig it displayed configuration of both eth0(sis) and

eth1(realtek)

now I did /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

        and then did ifconfig it displayed just eth0 and eth1 was
vanished

I remove realtek card and started the box
        siscard was pinging and it was perfect

I suspected that I must be hardware conflict then I connected the
realtek card back and
booted back in to windows to by shock both the cards were running at a
time with no problem

I found that both the cards were using same IRQ = 19 under windows
and in Kinfocenter the IRQ displayed for the cards IRQ = 11 again same
IRQ

here is the info of the cards:

SIS900c:
        I/O range    : E800 - E8FF
        Memory Range : ED102000 - ED102FFF
        IRQ          : 19 (in windows), 11 (in slack)
        Driver Used  : sis900

RealTek 8139/8139+:
        I/O range    : EC00 - Ecff
        Memory Range : ED104000 - ED104FFF
        IRQ          : 19 (in windows), 11 (in slack)
        Driver Used  : 8139too

I also tried adding alias to

/etc/modprobe.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.d.inet1.conf

alias eth0 sis900
alias eth1 8139too

each time I made changes I was restarting the rc.inet1 daemon
I am using, slack 10.2 kernel - 2.4.13

ended up in vain...

This is some thing strange, I am finding it difficult to add the
realtek card
and make it recognised by slack, can any one please help me solve this
problem,
so that I can make my box to use both the cards.

ethernet cards installation configuration problem slack 10.2

Post by Filip Rembialkowsk » Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:14:01

Read chapter 5 of The Book: http://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html

or just

1) edit /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice,
add two "/sbin/modprobe nic_module" lines in desired order.

2) edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
fill-in the addresses / masks and set default gateway.

3) reboot

1. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

Hi.
    I have just setted up a linux server running Redhat 5.2 on my system.
During installation, it detected successfully my ethernet card.  I entered
the IP, domain name host name and subnet mask.
    Once the installation finished, when my server is online, I see strange
error msg on console and can't do networking.  I can't ping my others
machine running win98 over the network.  Here are an example of the msg I
got at the console :
        eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0200000, SIA 000000c6
ffff0000
                              fff8ffff 8ff40000, resetting...
        eth0: Transmit timed out, switching to 100baseTx media.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Tanx in advance.

    Christian Hamel
    Montral, Qubec

2. X11 prob

3. PCMCIA Ethernet Card Configuration Problem

4. multiport serial cards for linux ?

5. problem with llinux multi ethernet cards configuration

6. Scsh (a Unix Scheme shell) FAQ

7. PROBLEMS Ethernet cards Configuration

8. ppp setup in Mandrake Linux 6.1 ?

9. ethernet card configuration problems..

10. redhat 6.2 install problem with 10.2 GB hdd

11. Running HP-UX 10.2 and NT with printer problem

12. compiling problem on HP-UX 10.2

13. Problems with On Line Suite NFS on Hp-UX 10.2