How to configure for more than one isp connection on a single box.

How to configure for more than one isp connection on a single box.

Post by Andrew Marti » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a RedHat 6.1 box with a cable modem connection and a seperate ppp
connection to different ISP's.  There is also a small LAN.  I want to
arrange things so that all traffic originating from the LAN going out to
the internet goes via the cable modem.  At the same time I want all traffic
coming in from outside to come in via the ppp link and be replied to via
the ppp link.  I have to do this because the cable modem company forbid the
use of servers on their network and I want to abide by their requirements.
But I don't want to give up my servers so if I can restrict access to them
via the ppp link I can have my cake and eat it too.

So - how do I configure the routing.  I already have both interfaces
operational and the cable modem port has been sealed to inbound traffic.
The ppp port is proerly routed by the isp so inbound traffic comes in the
right way but at the moment the server software fails to reply.

any advice greatly appreciated.

1. One NFS connection fine, one NFS connection slow

Ok, this is all a bit odd.  I will draw an ascii picture and hope it
survives in Google:

sun server
    |                   .------mandrake 8.2------.
    |---nfs mount------|client   -> samba server |---share-|
    |                   `------------------------'         |
    |                 .----suse 9.0-----------.            |
    |---nfs mount-----|client -> samba server |-----share--|
                      `-----------------------'            |
                                                           |-- Windows

A long time ago someone set up samba on a mandrake box, to give
windows users access to the big unix file server.  Everyone is a
"guest" so the files are owned on the server by "nobody" - 99:99

Snag, is, that mandrake box is supposed to be doing something
important, and we need to get the traffic off.  so I have built a
similar setup with an old Dell server, and installed suse 9 on it.
I've mounted the same exported drives from the sun box and run samba
to share them to the windows people.

It all works fine, except for Microsoft Office apps.  If I open a file
in word on the mandrake share it is fine, just like a local drive.  If
I open it on the suse share then word hangs "not responding" for about
3 minutes, then comes back to life.  Same when auto-save comes in or
when you try to exit.  Other software, other apps, no problem.  Only
Office.

I have created a samba share to a local disk on the suse 9 box, and it
works without any problems: I don't think the problem is in my samba
setup.  It seems to be the nfs part of the equation, and it is driving
me demented.

I have changed user "nobody" on the suse box from 65544:65533 to 99:99
to avoid conflicts - no better.  I have checked what is happening on
the sun server: the windows ~$ lock file and ~WOR buffer files are
created instantly, with the right owners and permission bits.

The only thing that might take time is that an acl is created on the
original word file on the sun server from the suse box, but not from
the mandrake box.  the acl appears benign, but I wonder if the act of
creation is the problem.  Other applications do not create acls, and
the two temporary files that microsoft creates don't have acls.

The setup of the nfs mounts on the two boses is the same - the options
are "defaults, rw" on both of them.

AA: Has anyone seen anything like this before?
BB: how can I create an nfs mount that does not invoke the acl
mechanism?
CC: anyone know where I can get Samba binaries for Solaris 8?

2. PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP

3. Using Firewall in a Single Linux BOX and ppp connection

4. Partitioning drives

5. Multilink PPP with one fixed connection, and one PPPoE connection

6. HowTo Search a List of Files for Lines Containing Strings

7. Dialup PPP connection can't see past ISP box

8. NT RAS PPP - Domain login problems

9. 2 ISP account on one Linux Box

10. Which Linux configures ISP connection easiest

11. Help configuring my isp connection

12. Need help configuring a PPP connection to my ISP.....

13. Configuring Solaris PPP for ISP connection