testing throughput on a bonded NIC

Post by Todd » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:31:03

Hi,

I have a machine with a bonded NIC. I am trying to determine whether
the bonding is doing anything for me.  I have another machine, that is
identical, that does not have a bonded NIC.

I'd like to run a network throughput test on each of the machines that
will show me how the network is performing.  In other words, I want to
know if un-bonding the NIC would hurt me or have no affect.

Both machines are being used as NFS servers.  The bonded machine is
MUCH more heavily used, but the non-bonded node will also be heavily
used, eventually.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd

testing throughput on a bonded NIC

Post by Antoine EMERI » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:02:27

79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Quote:> I'd like to run a network throughput test on each of the machines that
> will show me how the network is performing.  In other words, I want to
> know if un-bonding the NIC would hurt me or have no affect.

You may try somethink like this :

        http://www.iozone.org/

Regards

Post by Rick Jone » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:43:31

> I have a machine with a bonded NIC. I am trying to determine whether
> the bonding is doing anything for me.  I have another machine, that
> is identical, that does not have a bonded NIC.
> I'd like to run a network throughput test on each of the machines
> that will show me how the network is performing.  In other words, I
> want to know if un-bonding the NIC would hurt me or have no affect.

What bonding mode is being used?

Quote:> Both machines are being used as NFS servers.  The bonded machine is
> MUCH more heavily used, but the non-bonded node will also be heavily
> used, eventually.

In broad handwaving terms, and with the exception of the "rr" bonding
mode, bonding will not allow a _single_ stream of traffic to run any
faster than before.  It is the aggregate of the streams that is
increased via bonding.  Are there _many_ clients accessing the NFS
server(s)?  Are they on the same local LAN, or are they on the other
side of a router?

There's always netperf - the extent to which it simulates NFS traffic
depends on how you tell it to run. http://www.netperf.org/

rick jones