demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

Post by Fan Yan » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi, all,

I have setup RH6.0 PPPD with demand dialing. It works out fine.
It will automatically connect when there is network traffic and
disconnect upon inactivity.

But everytime when I start pppd, even if there is no traffic, pppd
will sleep for about one minute and then start dialing. After the
specified period of inactivity, it will disconnect. After that,
everything is normal again.

This is annoying since I plan to put pppd in the system startup script.
Anyone experience similiar problem ?

I am pretty sure I don't have software which tries to connect when
it happens.

Fan

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

Post by Dave Elka » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am having pretty much exactly the same problem with my PPPD client using
demand.

If I type "pppd :10.0.0.2" to initiate the demand bit, it dials pretty much
straight away, (which confuses the shit outta me) so I have to take evasive
action and kill the modem so I dont run up excesive bills.. so yah.. I will
turn my modem on again.. and hey presto, it dials again.. dont know whats
going on.. Apart from that, everything works fine..
I am running RH6.0
I have a DHCP, IP Masq and the demand pppd bit going..

does anyone know how to fix this lil bug? Have I overlooked some minor
detail??
Please help.

I used the following link to help me set it up.

http://www.nic.com/~cannon/Linux/
Cheers

Dave

--
Dave Elkan
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ICQ: 9071242
http://www.zip.com.au/~elcano
------------------
Be there, see it, savour it, show it,
try it, feel it, believe in it, talk about it,
share it, listen to it, hear it and most
esspecially  live it..
It's your life, make it worth it!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1. Dial on demand ALWAYS DIAL! HELP!

I've got this slakware 7.0 comp set up with pppd 2.3.10 with
dial-on-demand as a gateway for my LAN

But I've got this HUGE problem..

Always when I bot my linux Red Hat 6.0 comp, it makes dial-on-demand
dial! Just by booting! And it doesn't matter if a turn ppp-off to stop
it from dialing. When I start pppd :[IP of my ISPs DNS]  on my slak box
again, it immediately starts dialing! After like 11-12 minutes it
suddenly disconnects (as I write this) "due to lack of activity" (but I
configured dial-on-demand to disconnect after 3 minutes...)

This is what tcpdump keeps saying non-stop when it is online. If offline
(with the help off ppp-off) there is a IP address instead of the server
name.
01:15:16.004950 mycomp.mydomain.com.1024 > j.root-servers.net.domain:
3866 NS? . (17)
01:15:24.004956 mycomp.mydomain.com.1024 > m.root-servers.net.domain:
3866 NS? . (17)
01:15:32.004949 mycomp.mydomain.com.1024 > E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.domain:
3866 NS? . (17)
etc...

During boot, the gateway starts dialing somewhere between modules are
initalized and shortly after the interfaces (lo and eth0) are
configured. Everything goes rather fast during boot so I can't really
tell what makes the pppd deamon dial.

Whatever it is I want to stop it..

Any sugestions? comments?

Thanx!

/Martin

Please e-mail me if possible. My newsreader will not take more than 100
new msgs... (it is a drag to reconfigure it)

2. apache enviroment variable for authentication

3. "Dial on Demand" always dialling...

4. Zsh equ of "onintr -"

5. pppd demand; dialing and dialing

6. startx want start X ......!

7. PPPD demand keeps dialing and dialing

8. HELP: Shelltool freezes displaying manpages in Slackware 3.1. Library incompatability?

9. pppd 2.3.5 dial-on-demand: first DNS lookup always times out

10. pppd w/demand always dials

11. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

12. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

13. Linux Dial Upon Demand Internet Server