Problem with ppp and MS-CHAP connecting to a WIN NT box

Post by bill davids » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

| I try to set up an connection to my ISP, who uses WIN NT and (I
| suppose)MS-CHAP, but it doesn't work (see /var/log/messages).
|
| I'm not sure if it is MS-Chap or "normal" chap, because in
| /var/log/messages I get an entry
| Feb  4 17:50:29 Linux pppd[237]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0>
| 03 00 60 97 b4 d4 b5>]

I assume that the "<auth chap msoft>" is a hint to use MSCHAP80.

| but the README.mschap80 in the ppp2.2.0f sources says, that <auth chap
| 80> stands for MS-CHAP, like rcvd [LCP ConfReg id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0>
| <auth chap 80> <magic 0x46a3>] .
|
| I tried to solve the problem by rebuilding ppp with the following
| - DUSE_MSCHAP  in the COMPILE_FLAGS macro
| - ldes in the LIBS macro
| both in the Makefile.

From memory, this is not at all what the README.MSCHAP80 said to do.
You are supposed to run make with two options set to 1, and I won't
try to quote them from memory, one is MSCHAP and the other is
encryption. With that option you don't use the library and there are
no version issues.

Read the README again, do a make clean, then do the make.

One other thing, unless you are running a 1.2.13 Linux kernel, you
probably will have more joy using the 2.3.3 pppd, which works fine
with NT, PAP, CHAP, CHAP80, etc. That may be why I'm remembering the
README saying to do something else ;-) pppd 2.2.0 is *OLD* and will
probably not bring you joy with any options.
--

"She would hold a grudge until it died of old age. Then she would have it
stuffed and mounted."