RH 6.2 install via plip: have route, but cannot ping target cannot connect

RH 6.2 install via plip: have route, but cannot ping target cannot connect

Post by Pete Hur » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello world (and many thanks Malware for finding my typo!)

So I'm trying to intall RH6.2 on a CDless laptop.
I think I've finally gotten plip up on the nfs serving machine

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
my.target.machine          *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 plip0
my.host.machine            *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0
[more routing table stuff deleted]

I cannot ping the target machine, the PLIP-install.HOWTO says
I ought to be able to...

I have the target on the installation step after having seleced nfs
install, the PLIP device.

Now, perhaps here is where some of the trouble is.

If I do not select "specify module parameters" when
selecting the PLIP interface it seems to think about
it, then time out and comes back with
/tmp/plip.o: init_modult: Device or resource busy
So I tried specifying module parameters either
IO address 0x3bc irq 5
or
IO address 0x378 irq 7
and I think there's the same error message (but the shadow from the
"Installation Method" menu overwrites it before it can be read).

I don't know if this is a server or target problem...

Many thanks for any help.
-P.

RH 6.2 install via plip: have route, but cannot ping target cannot connect

Post by Pete Hur » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> So I'm trying to intall RH6.2 on a CDless laptop.

From the PLIP-MiniHOWTO I assume my successful routing,
and unsuccessful ping situation means simply that the  target
machine does not have PLIP up.

How, when selecting NFS image install and the PLIP device, I get
/tmp/plip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
which sounds to me like a bad irq or io.

I've put the io & irq reported by win95 (and verified using the
para13.zip program suggested in the Mini-HOWTO), no change.

The target is using ECP port (the source machine is using EPP) both
ought to work for PLIP...

Does anyone know what sorts of things are supposed to go in
the "Miscellanious" field of the PLIP module parameters menu?
I tried adding "DMA=7" (reported by win95).

Any hints anyone?
-P.

1. RH 6.2 cannot ping, but will respond to ping and telnet

Hello.

Here goes - basic networking problem - RH 6.2 connected to a Cisco
2924, connected to an Extreme Black Diamond switch. Like so:

   [RH 6.2] --- [Cisco 2924] --- [Black Diamond] --- lots of other stuff

IP is static, nic module is an eepro100.

Symptoms
- RH box can ping 127.0.0.1
- RH box cannot ping it's own IP, the cisco or the Black Diamond
- Cisco can ping the RH box ( and the Black Diamond, but that's not
important)
   * This is where it gets wierd *
- Cisco can telnet to the RH 6.2 box

Now the RH box has /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all set to 0 and
no ipchains rules entered.

Any ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. trouble with linux red hat 7.1 shutting down 2

3. can ping but cannot get to www or cannot ping by name

4. connecting a dial-in modem

5. Can ping but cannot connect via ftp or rsync

6. PGP

7. Cannot configure NIC on RH 6.2

8. help: named pipe output across nfs?

9. Having a problem installing rh 6.2 on DS20 - sequel

10. cannot access kppp other than root in RH 6.2

11. Help, newbie cannot boot up RH 6.2

12. RH 6.2 on Dolch - cannot see my hda

13. Cannot ping lo0 (Cannot reach the destination network)