How Do ISet Up a PPP dial-up Server

Post by Nelson Butle » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have Red Hat 5.0, and I want to install it, network it, and have it dial
out to my ISP so my NT Box can use the Linux PPP server as a gateway to the
Internet.

I have the Linux Box and my NT Box already networked.  I have a USR56k
Sporster and I am clueless as to how to get PPP going.

Need some insight.

- Nelson

How Do ISet Up a PPP dial-up Server

Post by Luc Lalond » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a similar setup to you here.  I have one Linux machine connected
to the Internet using PPP through my provider.  The other machine is
connected to the Linux machine and is able to connect to the internet
using the connection from the modem on the Linux box.

What you need to do is setup IPmasquerading on your Linux box.  The
instructions are quite simple.  All you need to do is read up on
KernelHOWTO and IPmasqueradingHOWTO in the Linux Documentation project.
In the IPmasquerading HOWTO, follow the more recent develpment
links...they have many more tips to get you going.

You might also consider using wingate (http://www.wingate.com) on your
PC running NT as an alternative to having your Linux running as a
firewall/proxy server.  Another option is using SQUID or SOCKS.  I've
found the above method to be the easiest because of the fact that you
don't have to change any of the applications on the client machine.  You
just setup your Linux box as a gateway and that's it!

Hope this helps, Luc.

Post by ggre » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a similar setup to you here.  I have one Linux machine connected
> to the Internet using PPP through my provider.  The other machine is
> connected to the Linux machine and is able to connect to the internet
> using the connection from the modem on the Linux box.

> What you need to do is setup IPmasquerading on your Linux box.  The
> instructions are quite simple.  All you need to do is read up on
> KernelHOWTO and IPmasqueradingHOWTO in the Linux Documentation project.
> In the IPmasquerading HOWTO, follow the more recent develpment
> links...they have many more tips to get you going.

Hi

I did all things HOWTOs says, but while running pppd I got message: proc
file system not mounted.
What did I do wrong? I have "/proc file system support" enabled and I can
view /proc directory with ls.
I have RedHat 5.0, kernel v. 2.0.34, pppd v 2.2.0.

Piotr
--
SIE OPENTEAM s.c. - Multinet o/Wloclawek
87-800 Wloclawek, ul. Okrezna 2