dial-in box for PPP service

Post by Richard T » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 05:42:24

i have been using mgetty for dial-in service. it gives only terminal access.
Does anybody know how i can configure the linux box so that i can dial-in
and surf internet just like dialing into an ISP?

thanks

Richard

dial-in box for PPP service

Post by Simon Gree » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:53:37

Mgetty can be used for PPP. In (IIRC -- can't access my box from here)
the login config file, you need to set AutoPPP. In this mode, if the
first thing mgetty sees is a PPP packet, it will spawn pppd. Otherwise
it will give you terminal access. This is really quite neat. Of course,
you need more than mgetty setup do a proper job of it -- there are
routing issues etc to consider also.

Simon

--
Simon Green
Logica Mobile Networks

Please read the lawyer-speak below, it costs us 50 quid a word!

dial-in box for PPP service

Post by James Knot » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:24:35

> i have been using mgetty for dial-in service. it gives only terminal
> access. Does anybody know how i can configure the linux box so that i
> can dial-in and surf internet just like dialing into an ISP?

Check "Pocket" ISP based on Redhat Linux HOWTO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ISP-Setup-RedHat-HOWTO.html

--

james.knott.

1. Can RHL linux be set up for PPP dial-in services?

(nothing - just subject)

Yes.

(Hints: mgetty (AutoPPP), pppd, /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX)

--
Henrik Storner  |  "testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good,
                |   if it boots up it is perfect."
                |                                    Linus Torvalds

2. =- Free listing of hookers in your local area! =-

3. Rotary dial-in to multiport PPP service with only on Phone number

4. solaris blackberry sync

5. FreeBSD PPP Dial-in Service

6. Security test tools

7. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

8. Firewall Question

9. HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??

10. how to set up a dial-in PPP access on a solaris 2.4 box?

11. concurrent ppp dial-ins

12. Dial-in PPP from a Windows Box

13. How to set up RH Linux 6.1 box for dial-in ppp access?