Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

Post by Ben » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Samba shares a folder I did not specify in smb.conf, namely the /tmp
folder.  Samba shows it under Network Neighborhood as public.

I think the problem is that the chmod of /tmp is 777; that is any user
on the Linux box can read and write to the /tmp folder.  So, the same
rules apply to shares under Network Neighborhood.  Other than
"chmod"ing the /tmp folder to 700, can I configure Samba to share only
the folders I specify in smb.conf, not folders that have chmods of
777?

Ben

Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

Post by Jan Johansso » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> "chmod"ing the /tmp folder to 700, can I configure Samba to share only
> the folders I specify in smb.conf, not folders that have chmods of
> 777?

Thats the way it works, samba doesnt share ANYTHING you dont tell it, check
out your smb.conf the share must be in there (its there by default)

Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

Post by Eugen » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Samba shares a folder I did not specify in smb.conf, namely the /tmp
> folder.  Samba shows it under Network Neighborhood as public.

just like the other poster said, this is impossible. Samba shares only the
directories you specify in smb.conf. Check your configuration.

Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

Post by Ben » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:56:26 GMT, "Jan Johansson"

>> "chmod"ing the /tmp folder to 700, can I configure Samba to share only
>> the folders I specify in smb.conf, not folders that have chmods of
>> 777?

>Thats the way it works, samba doesnt share ANYTHING you dont tell it, check
>out your smb.conf the share must be in there (its there by default)

Hmm...It would seem, from running "testparm" that Samba wants a public
directory.  When it cannot find one, even if the "public" section in
smb.conf is absent, Samba makes /tmp the public directory.

Ben