SuSE 8.0 very slow download with cable modem

SuSE 8.0 very slow download with cable modem

Post by Tom » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:20:23

I use a dual boot Pentium II (HP) with 224megs ram. The 98se and the SuSE
8.0 are on separate hard drives. I connect to the net with ADSL from SBC/
Southwestern Bell. This service sucks.

For comparison I had Comcast Cable installed in order to make a comparison
of the two systems.The cable modem is a Motorola SB4100 "surfboard."
Comcast wins due to the fact that it is twice as fast and reliable.

The problem that I have not been able to solve is this. As long as I am on
the Win98se side of my machine using cable, it averages downloads speeds in
excess of 1.0Mbs. However, when I reboot to the SuSE 8.0 system the download
slows to less than my 56K dialup connection.

Is there anything that I can do to get this cable service up to speed in
Linux?

TIA,

Tom

Post by Karl Heye » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:14:09

> The problem that I have not been able to solve is this. As long as I am on
> the Win98se side of my machine using cable, it averages downloads speeds in
> excess of 1.0Mbs. However, when I reboot to the SuSE 8.0 system the download
> slows to less than my 56K dialup connection.

> Is there anything that I can do to get this cable service up to speed in
> Linux?

Well there's a couple of possibilities,  first try reducing the MTU size

ifconfig <external interface> mtu 576

see if the transfer speed changes.

also try running mii-tool -v on the ethernet card connecting to the
modem, might be a dusplex mismatch. Check the ifconfig output and
any unusal messages appearing in /var/log/messages.

karl.

Post by Tom » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:26:35

>> The problem that I have not been able to solve is this. As long as I am
>> on the Win98se side of my machine using cable, it averages downloads
>> speeds in excess of 1.0Mbs. However, when I reboot to the SuSE 8.0 system
>> the download slows to less than my 56K dialup connection.

>> Is there anything that I can do to get this cable service up to speed in
>> Linux?

> Well there's a couple of possibilities,  first try reducing the MTU size

> ifconfig <external interface> mtu 576

> see if the transfer speed changes.

> also try running mii-tool -v on the ethernet card connecting to the
> modem, might be a dusplex mismatch. Check the ifconfig output and
> any unusal messages appearing in /var/log/messages.

> karl.

The mtu change didn't make any differences. Neither did mii-tool, which
returned an error message: 'Operation not supported.'

Another symptom I've noticed is that the connection is promptly established,
and then promptly stalls.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Post by Karl Heye » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:35:52

>> also try running mii-tool -v on the ethernet card connecting to the
>> modem, might be a dusplex mismatch. Check the ifconfig output and
>> any unusal messages appearing in /var/log/messages.

>> karl.

> The mtu change didn't make any differences. Neither did mii-tool, which
> returned an error message: 'Operation not supported.'

The MTU test shows it not a packet fragmentation issue, the mii-tool
indicates that we cannot get info from the driver about it's status.
Can you check the end of /var/log/messages or the dmesg output relating
to the ethernet card.  Also Check the ifconfig output.

Quote:> Another symptom I've noticed is that the connection is promptly established,
> and then promptly stalls.

check the above first and if that doesn't yeild anything then run a
tcpdump -o output -n -i ppp0/ethN (whatever your using externally) and
transfer some data. Email the output file.

karl.

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. IPChains Problem

3. Slow performance under Suse Linux 8.0

4. TCP 2.0.0: pinging internal network, dup packets

5. SuSE 8.0 and slow DNS resolution

6. !!HELP!! Cannot start Oralce 7.3.3 on Solaris 2.5.1

7. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

8. xv xwindows sysyem

9. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

10. Setting up Mandrake 8.0 as a Cable Modem Gateway.

11. Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem connected via USB in Red Hat 8.0 Linux

12. RedHat 8.0 DHCP Failed w/ AT&T Cable Modem

13. Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem connected via USB in Red Hat 8.0 Linux