Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Sean Ake » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00



I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

Cheers,

Sean Akers.

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00


[Posted and mailed]



Quote:> I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
> 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
> price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
> your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
> 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
> machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

I'm not using this specific product, but I am using a 5-port Linksys
10/100 hub and a Linksys 10/100 NIC in one of my computers.  They work
fine, though the vast majority of the Linksys 10/100 NICs on store shelves
today use PNIC Tulip clone chips rather than "genuine" DEC Tulip chips.
The result is that you'll probably have to recompile your kernel (or at
least your Tulip driver) to get the board to work with Linux.

One other caveat: Some kits of the type you describe come with 10/100 NICs
but only 10Mbps hubs, or some other crippling feature.  Be sure that ALL
the components are capable of the 100Mbps speed.

--
Rod Smith

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Peter F. Curr » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00




Quote:>I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
>10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
>price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

The cards work fine using the tulip driver.  However, there are
second revision cards out there (the ones with wake-on-lan
support) which you might need a modified driver for.  Linksys
actually _provides_ the driver on their website!  They are
giving _excellent_ support to the Linux community IMO, and
deserve our patronage.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

"If you paid for your operating system, you probably
 paid too much for your operating system."
 ****  USE EMAIL ADDRESS IN ORG LINE TO REPLY  ****

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Jon Michael Brow » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I currently use a Linksys Ethernet package that came with a 5 port hub and
two ethernet cards.  It works great.  In my linux box I use a 3c509 card for
my ISP connection and then one of the Linksys cards for the local network
connection to the hub.  There are 4 Win98 machines connected to the hub, and
have never run into a problem with the Linksys cards.  I actually have more
problems with my 3c509 card.


Quote:> I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
> 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
> price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
> your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
> 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
> machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

> Cheers,

> Sean Akers.

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Peter Buelo » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> [Posted and mailed]



> > I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
> > 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
> > price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> > Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
> > your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> > network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
> > 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
> > machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

> I'm not using this specific product, but I am using a 5-port Linksys
> 10/100 hub and a Linksys 10/100 NIC in one of my computers.  They work
> fine, though the vast majority of the Linksys 10/100 NICs on store shelves
> today use PNIC Tulip clone chips rather than "genuine" DEC Tulip chips.
> The result is that you'll probably have to recompile your kernel (or at
> least your Tulip driver) to get the board to work with Linux.

> One other caveat: Some kits of the type you describe come with 10/100 NICs
> but only 10Mbps hubs, or some other crippling feature.  Be sure that ALL
> the components are capable of the 100Mbps speed.

  One addendum to this. Just because a hub is 10/100 switchable, doesn't
mean that if you plug 10 and 100 cards in, that it will run at the card
speed. You need to make sure that the hub is n-way switchable which
means it will allow both 10 and 100 mixed but running at the fastest
speed the card allows!
  Linksys products are excellent and deserve the linux communities
patronage as they have provided linux drivers for their cards for quite
some time.

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--
"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual
referred to a "pointer to void."
 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Colvi » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00



>I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
>10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
>price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

>Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
>your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
>network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
>3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
>machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

I have a Linksys Hub (5 dual-speed 10Base-T/100BaseTX Autosensing ports)
and a Linksys LNE100TX PCI NIC card.

The second diskette with the NIC has a linux directory with a copy of
tulip.c on it.

I am using Mandrake 6.0.  I followed the instructions at
http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm#module for
recompile
module method.  The only difference I noted was that the include
directory -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
did not exist in my source distribution.  I guessed at using ipv4 instead of
inet and all went fine
except the compile generated two warnings about ambiguous else statements.

Other than that all worked well.  I have tested it communicating with a Win
98 box with a D-Link
DFE530 card and Win 98 and Linux running with a 3c574 card.  At this point
all seems fine.

Regards
Bill Colvin

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Jeff Peterso » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I could not get the tulip driver as linked on the Linksys website to
function, but was able to use the one loaded on the install disk.

------------------  Posted via CNET Linux Help  ------------------
                    http://www.searchlinux.com

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by twidd.. » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I had LinkSys cards in all my windows boxes. I tried getting the
linksys cards to work in RedHat6 and Slackware4 and was unsuccessful.
http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

I think the decision is better determined by knowing if you are a linux
newbie or a guru. I am more a newbie so recompiling kernels or modules
seemed over my skills.

I bought 3COM905s for less than $50 at http://www.mwave.com

the 905s have worked in
RedHat 6
Slackware 4
Win2000beta3
BeOS 4.5
FreeBSD 3.2

AND I noticed a considerable speed increase on my game servers with the
3COM cards over the linksys cards (10% - 20%)

hope this info is of use

Andy



Quote:> I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast
Ethernet
> 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very
reasonable
> price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what
are
> your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> network card) for my home network which is currently running using
old
> 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one
W98
> machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

> Cheers,

> Sean Akers.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Michael Meissne » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
> 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
> price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
> your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
> 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
> machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

You shouldn't have any problems, with just the one hub.  I did have problems
with a Linksys hub connecting to a SOHOware hub that were separated about
60-100' apart, which is coming close to the max distance for 100 Mbit hubs (I
originally had my office in the 2nd story bedroom and other computers down in
the ba*t).  It got to the point where I would have to reboot several times
a day, and replaced both hubs with the more expensive 3com office connect 8
port hubs, and never had a problem at that distance (I have since moved
everything down to the ba*t due to not having air conditioning).  Whether
it was the Linksys hub that was at fault or the SOHOware, I never found out
(the SOHOware hub was certainly flakey, since it had a rather noisy fan).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by R.A. Wilso » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I use the Linksys Ether16 LAN card in several of my home LAN machines,
and have never had a problem.  Dunno about the "in a box" product, but
I trust Linksys.  At least, they are one of the few companies willing
to acknowledge Linux and state they are compatible.

=====================================================================


> I've just discovered a local PC shop selling the 'Linksys Fast Ethernet
> 10/100 Network in a Box' product for what seems like a very reasonable
> price. It says on the box that it is Linux compatible.

> Are any of you Linux users out there using one of these ? If so, what are
> your thoughts ? I am thinking of getting one of these (plus a third
> network card) for my home network which is currently running using old
> 3Com 3C503 ISA cards. My network consists of one Linux server, one W98
> machine and one multi-boot W98, NT4, Linux machine.

> Cheers,

> Sean Akers.

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Jose Oter » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> I had LinkSys cards in all my windows boxes. I tried getting the
> linksys cards to work in RedHat6 and Slackware4 and was unsuccessful.
> http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

> I think the decision is better determined by knowing if you are a linux
> newbie or a guru. I am more a newbie so recompiling kernels or modules
> seemed over my skills.

> AND I noticed a considerable speed increase on my game servers with the
> 3COM cards over the linksys cards (10% - 20%)

> hope this info is of use

> Andy

I would have to agree, although I have tried recompiling the kernel and
have not had any luck.  I tried the card in windows and it worked okay,
although every two mins or so, windows "locked" up for about 3 secs and
then resumed.  (i.e. mouse, screen refresh, everything would just hang)
It may be my card.  I also have a 3Com card, and although expensive they
seem to run faster and cleaner.

If anyone has got there Linksys card to work (the one with wake up on LAN
support) please write me with some info.  Also, although I am doing this
backwards, has anyone networked linux through windows running a proxy
server?

Jose

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by jjlkpeter.. » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I got mine working by using the tulip driver that came on the linksys
cards.  Just follow the compile instructions as noted at the bottom of
the driver.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by OldUncle » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00


It was: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:01:09 -0700  and with STARTLING insight,  "Jose

  posted "Re: Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?"

 to "comp.os.linux.hardware" :

-->If anyone has got there Linksys card to work (the one with wake up on LAN
-->support) please write me with some info.  Also, although I am doing this
-->backwards, has anyone networked linux through windows running a proxy
-->server?

-->Jose

Yup.  Running '98 and a program -- Nat 1000 -- whose company was bought out
by M$ and the prog is included in 98SE, as a feature with its own name.
Not sure what M$ calls it.  Works like a charm.  Any  machine on my lan
whose gateway is set to the Nat machine (and has valid dns server entries
--same as my provider, but could use public or private dns servers also --
I've tested use with public servers, no problem) connects to the internet
through its internet connection, cable modem.  Seamless.  Little or no
apparent processing overhead on the routing machine, no other special
configuration on _any_ machine on the lan; on the routing machine, nothing
other than setting up the nat program.  Nat has worked the same for NT,
several flavors of Linux, several of '95, even dos machines.  Just direct
those otherwise usatisfied requests to the gateway machine.

Nat will work without entering dns information on the lan machines, but
only if ip#'s are used.  Dns entries must exist for ip conversion on each
machine.

I imagine that using proxy software to route the lan through one machine's
internet connection would not be much more involved, but that depends on
the software.....       /ts


 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Alvaro Garrig » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I got several running under Red Hat 6.0 tulip driver.


> > I had LinkSys cards in all my windows boxes. I tried getting the
> > linksys cards to work in RedHat6 and Slackware4 and was unsuccessful.
> > http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

> > I think the decision is better determined by knowing if you are a linux
> > newbie or a guru. I am more a newbie so recompiling kernels or modules
> > seemed over my skills.

> > AND I noticed a considerable speed increase on my game servers with the
> > 3COM cards over the linksys cards (10% - 20%)

> > hope this info is of use

> > Andy

> I would have to agree, although I have tried recompiling the kernel and
> have not had any luck.  I tried the card in windows and it worked okay,
> although every two mins or so, windows "locked" up for about 3 secs and
> then resumed.  (i.e. mouse, screen refresh, everything would just hang)
> It may be my card.  I also have a 3Com card, and although expensive they
> seem to run faster and cleaner.

> If anyone has got there Linksys card to work (the one with wake up on LAN
> support) please write me with some info.  Also, although I am doing this
> backwards, has anyone networked linux through windows running a proxy
> server?

> Jose

 
 
 

Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

Post by Mark Mora » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00


On 19 Sep 1999 15:44:34 PDT, Alvaro Garriga

I struggled with this card for a while.  I finally settled on the
driver that came on the disk 90f.  I found newer version of the tulip
driver but couldn't get those to work.  The other item was it had to
be run as a modules, NOT compiled into the kernel.


>I got several running under Red Hat 6.0 tulip driver.



>> > I had LinkSys cards in all my windows boxes. I tried getting the
>> > linksys cards to work in RedHat6 and Slackware4 and was unsuccessful.
>> > http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

>> > I think the decision is better determined by knowing if you are a linux
>> > newbie or a guru. I am more a newbie so recompiling kernels or modules
>> > seemed over my skills.

>> > AND I noticed a considerable speed increase on my game servers with the
>> > 3COM cards over the linksys cards (10% - 20%)

>> > hope this info is of use

>> > Andy

>> I would have to agree, although I have tried recompiling the kernel and
>> have not had any luck.  I tried the card in windows and it worked okay,
>> although every two mins or so, windows "locked" up for about 3 secs and
>> then resumed.  (i.e. mouse, screen refresh, everything would just hang)
>> It may be my card.  I also have a 3Com card, and although expensive they
>> seem to run faster and cleaner.

>> If anyone has got there Linksys card to work (the one with wake up on LAN
>> support) please write me with some info.  Also, although I am doing this
>> backwards, has anyone networked linux through windows running a proxy
>> server?

>> Jose

 
 
 

1. 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable modem)

You can get a two-port switch from Netgear or Linksys for under $100US, that
will work fine.  You'll need a 100baseTX hub on the fast side and a 10baseT
hub on the slow side, as well.

10/100 ISA cards do exist, but quite frankly unless you find them used or at
auction, it will probably be cheaper to put in a PCI motherboard.

Don't really know what's fastest and most stable for Linux--Intel works well
for Novell and NT.

--

--

--John

Reply to jclarke at eye bee em dot net

2. Linux on the new 100mhz Bx Motherboards..

3. Linksys 10/100 Fast ethernet NC100 card

4. X Problems with STB Nitro 3D

5. pccard fast ethernet 10/100 linksys question

6. Help: Ghostview gives unknown device error.

7. Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 unrecognized

8. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

9. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

10. Anyone used SMC (21240) 10/100 *EISA* ethernet?

11. Problem: Linksys Fast 10/100 with tulip.c v90 driver

12. FS: 10/100 4 port switch and 4 10/100 Network Adapters

13. Anyone running Linksys Etherfast 10/100 cards?