SuSEFirewall2 blocks whois request

Post by Christoph Schwar » Mon, 26 Apr 2004 04:04:29

Hello NG,

if i'd like to ask ripe.net via ~>whois [IP] - the Firewall blocks the
reception of the answer.
I am using Suse 9.0 and firewall2. I just allow ssh for my system.
Does anybody know how to modify the firewall in order to allow whois
requests?

Thanks
Chris

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:49:19

> Hello NG,

> if i'd like to ask ripe.net via ~>whois [IP] - the Firewall blocks the
> reception of the answer.
> I am using Suse 9.0 and firewall2. I just allow ssh for my system.
> Does anybody know how to modify the firewall in order to allow whois
> requests?

Does anything show up in /var/log/messages about the blocked request or
reply?  I have not used SuSE 9, but have used SuSEfirewall2 in 7.3 Pro,
8.0 and 8.2 Pro, and it has never blocked whois from the firewall or from
masqueraded LAN behind it.  So it is puzzling what you might have
specifically set to block it (assuming you properly set FW_DEV_EXT).  Any
custom rules?

Do you have trouble with any other internet access besides whois?

Post by Alex Harsc » Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:12:29

> Hello NG,

> if i'd like to ask ripe.net via ~>whois [IP] - the Firewall blocks the
> reception of the answer.
> I am using Suse 9.0 and firewall2. I just allow ssh for my system.
> Does anybody know how to modify the firewall in order to allow whois
> requests?

> Thanks
> Chris

Hi,

who is uses tcp port 43. So just add
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 43 -j ACCEPT
to your rules. Using firewall 2, this rule belongs in
/etc/sysconfig/scrits/SuseFirewall2-custom

Alex

Post by Christoph Schwar » Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:53:21

>> Hello NG,

>> if i'd like to ask ripe.net via ~>whois [IP] - the Firewall blocks the
>> reception of the answer.
>> I am using Suse 9.0 and firewall2. I just allow ssh for my system.
>> Does anybody know how to modify the firewall in order to allow whois
>> requests?

> Does anything show up in /var/log/messages about the blocked request or
> reply?  I have not used SuSE 9, but have used SuSEfirewall2 in 7.3 Pro,
> 8.0 and 8.2 Pro, and it has never blocked whois from the firewall or from
> masqueraded LAN behind it.  So it is puzzling what you might have
> specifically set to block it (assuming you properly set FW_DEV_EXT).  Any
> custom rules?

> Do you have trouble with any other internet access besides whois?

No - i've no trouble with other access
/VAr/log/messages says:
SuSE-FW-OUT-IPv6_PROHIB IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=fe80:0000.......

FW-Out .. does that mean the whois request is not routed to the
outside?

Chris

1. SuSEfirewall2 - blocking anything between 2 internal networks?

Hello,

I have a server with SuSEfirewall2 running (incl. NAT etc), with eth0
connected to the Internet, and eth1 and eth2 to two internal networks
(10.10.10.0 and 10.10.11.0 respectively). I have been able to
configure the network so it correctly allows me to connect to the
Internet as well as to the server, from either internal network.

However, there is no way I can connect from a machine on the
10.10.11.0 to a machine on the 10.10.10.0 network (e.g. an internal
webserver) - I keep on getting a SuSE-FW-DROP-DEFAULTIN=eth2 OUT=eth1
message in my log.

I searched everywhere, but am getting desperate... I surely am not the
only one running 2 internal networks...

Guy Denruyter

2. Help configuring an intel pro/100+ PCI card with Redhat 5.2?!

3. how to coordinate ioctl and block I/O requests in a block device driver

4. NT Proxy and FreeBSD Clients

5. Non blocking socket blocks; says 'read would block' ?

6. XDM (login problems)

7. Blocked requests from port 80 sources

8. more space for swap

9. Newbie request - Writing blocking rules

10. block incomming proxy requests on interface

11. Clustering of Request in block layer

12. generic UNIX program to block ping requests?

13. apapche/mod_proxy and blocking requests