Debian Etch, DEC 21041 NIC chip set

Post by Dave Bolan » Thu, 10 May 2007 00:44:07

I'm planning on trying a Debian network install this weekend
so the network has to work.  The problem has been this chip.
  Some distributions detect it, but can't seem to configure
it correctly so there is no eth0 shown in ifconfig.  Others
show a eth0 card with a lot of errors.  Can anyone confirm
that Etch will detect and configure this card correctly (or
offer the how-to to make it work)? I have searched the net
and the Debian site and there is nothing specifically
mentioned about this chip, at least not in the last year.

Yes, I realize that for $15 I could replace the NIC, but
what's the fun in that?

Thanks,

Debian Etch, DEC 21041 NIC chip set

Post by William Pecht » Mon, 14 May 2007 04:31:08

Quote:>I'm planning on trying a Debian network install this weekend
>so the network has to work.  The problem has been this chip.
>  Some distributions detect it, but can't seem to configure
>it correctly so there is no eth0 shown in ifconfig.  Others
>show a eth0 card with a lot of errors.  Can anyone confirm
>that Etch will detect and configure this card correctly (or
>offer the how-to to make it work)? I have searched the net
>and the Debian site and there is nothing specifically
>mentioned about this chip, at least not in the last year.

>Yes, I realize that for $15 I could replace the NIC, but
>what's the fun in that?

>Thanks,

Haven't tried Etch... but the chipset's worked well since RH6.2 and all
through the RH series.  Used 'em both on RH7.2 with a four ports board
at work.

Good chips.

The only board with problems is the one I have from Matrox which is NOT
supported anywhere since they did some things with the Shark 4ports card
to make it not work.

I'd give anyone who wants a card if they can get one of these working
under Linux for me.

I've got a couple of these NS100/4 cards I'd like to use.
They'd go great in IPcop firewalls.

from:
http://www.veryComputer.com/~whitis/hardware/quartet.html

"The matrox shark NS-100/4 is a four port tulip 21140 based card. To be
truly asinine, they put the EEPROM on the second (or third if you probe
backwards) chip so the tulip driver will not work correctly with or
without reverse_probe=1. This was reportedly a deliberate
incompatibility."

It will only ifconfig and run port eth2 because of the hardware layout
of the on board eeprom.

I think SCO had online driver sources for them as an example of writing
driver code.

Bill

pechter-at-gmail-dot-com

  "When I think back on all the *I learned in Vax school
  It's a wonder I fixed anything at all."   (to the tune of Kodachrome)
  pechter-at-gmail.com

1. Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

Hi

I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
P166
main board ASUS TX97
64 MB RAM
SB AWE64 sound card

DEC chip 21041 network card
IDE HDD and CD-ROM

I am having problems connecting to the network, or more precisely I have
a problem connecting to my network card. I have gone through all the
documentation (HOWTO and FAQ), but still no joy.

Here is what I have tried:

1. When running dmesg, there is no trace of any eth0 entries.
2. When looking in /proc/pci I can see that the network card is detected
with a IRQ = 11 and I/O = 0xd400
3. I recompiled my kernel to include only my network card (ie 21041)
4. I tried suggested LILO: linux ether=11,0xd400,eth0
5. /dev/eth0 still not present

Anyone with some ideas that might solve my problem???
Let me know if you need any additional info that migh shine more light
on the problem.

Thanks for your help

Mac

2. Installing MMDF for OpenServer5- Where to get it from?

3. Driver for ethernet card with DEC 21041 Chip?

4. "# Thank you!." ????

5. Q:SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip

6. network interfaces failure

7. DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

8. ATI Xpert@play 98 AGP and Red Hat 6.0

9. drivers for DEC 21041 NIC

10. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.

11. : DE450 adapter (21041 chip)

12. DEC 21041