EMail (SMTP/POP3/SendMail) Setup For Linux Newbie

EMail (SMTP/POP3/SendMail) Setup For Linux Newbie

Post by Michael Coff » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

Is there a place where I can get simple step-by-step instructions for setting
up an email server on my Linux system?  I'll want to set up Sendmail for
sending mail, and POP3 for retrieving mail (I imagine, any advice
appreciated).

-Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Post by Gilson Wilso » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Folks,

> Is there a place where I can get simple step-by-step instructions for
setting
> up an email server on my Linux system?  I'll want to set up Sendmail for
> sending mail, and POP3 for retrieving mail (I imagine, any advice
> appreciated).

> -Thanks in advance.

> -Mike

You might want to try out this URL :
http://computers.iwz.com/linux/mailsrv.html

Post by David » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

> Is there a place where I can get simple step-by-step instructions for
> setting up an email server on my Linux system?  I'll want to set up
> Sendmail for sending mail, and POP3 for retrieving mail (I imagine,
> any advice appreciated).

Where do you plan on receiving your mail?

If you're going to be logged in to the same Linux box that receives the
mail, you don't need POP3.  Just let sendmail receive the messages.
They'll be deposited in various mailbox files under /usr/spool/mail.

Most mail programs (Mail, pine, elm, Netscape) can be configured to
fetch mail messages out of your local mail spool.  (For Netscape, add a
"local movemail" server to the configuration.)

If you want to read the mail out of the Linux box from a remote
location, then a POP3 server might be useful.  (or you could just
remotely login with ssh and run a text-based mail program from there...)

-- David

EMail (SMTP/POP3/SendMail) Setup For Linux Newbie

Post by Michael Coff » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, that's what I was looking for (pretty much, I'd love the same thing
but with a little more detail..... but this should get me started).  :)

-Mike

>> Hi Folks,

>> Is there a place where I can get simple step-by-step instructions for
>setting
>> up an email server on my Linux system?  I'll want to set up Sendmail for
>> sending mail, and POP3 for retrieving mail (I imagine, any advice
>> appreciated).

>> -Thanks in advance.

>> -Mike

>You might want to try out this URL :
>http://computers.iwz.com/linux/mailsrv.html

EMail (SMTP/POP3/SendMail) Setup For Linux Newbie

Post by Ken Hs » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

I think what you want is to setup a email server using the linux, and have
everyone else use whatever email program to download their messages.

On the linux box:

setup user with login name and password (use linuxconf)

how to retrieve email:

users can telnet into the server using their login and password to access
their email by typing "pine" <enter> after they are logged in.

or

on their email program:

incoming server: type in the name of the linux server
outgoing server: type in the name of the linux server
login name: type in the user's lgoin name
passowrd: type in teh user's password.

that's it.