ipchains bug report?

Post by Mark Olber » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've run across some weird behavior involving ipchains that may be a
bug. Who should I report it to?

Here's the situation:  I run Linux on a firewall box, and wanted to
use ipchains to block incoming pop3 access (eth1 is my external
interface). The following line in my rc.local file:

ipchains -A input -p tcp -y -i eth1 -dport pop3 -j DENY

caused my boot process to hang.

The error, of course, is that it should be --dport (double dash), not
- (single dash)... but* the boot process for this seems pretty
extreme, particularly since if you enter it a command prompt
"manually" you get a basic error message!

Of course, this did cause me to learn a whole lot about single user
mode and remounting readonly file systems, so maybe it wasn't all bit
<sick grin>.

- Mark

ipchains bug report?

Post by Tom Easte » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I've run across some weird behavior involving ipchains that may be a
> bug. Who should I report it to?

BTW - when you need to find out the maintainer of a component, the first
place to look is /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS.

Cheers,
-Tom

PS -- I've seen the behavior that you report also but I've never taken
the time to figure out why it's happening.

--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

ipchains bug report?

Post by Mark Olber » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>BTW - when you need to find out the maintainer of a component, the first
>place to look is /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS.

>Cheers,
>-Tom

>PS -- I've seen the behavior that you report also but I've never taken
>the time to figure out why it's happening.

Thanx for the url, Tom.

I wonder if the behavior could be due to stderr not being handled
correctly. Oh well, at least I was able to work around it... although
for a moment there I thought I was dead, with no boot floppy
(embarrassed grin) and no idea how to get the filesystem into
readwrite mode!

- Mark

ipchains bug report?

Post by Robert Glove » Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I've run across some weird behavior involving ipchains that may be a
> bug. Who should I report it to?

> Here's the situation:  I run Linux on a firewall box, and wanted to
> use ipchains to block incoming pop3 access (eth1 is my external
> interface). The following line in my rc.local file:

> ipchains -A input -p tcp -y -i eth1 -dport pop3 -j DENY

> caused my boot process to hang.

> The error, of course, is that it should be --dport (double dash), not
> - (single dash)... but* the boot process for this seems pretty
> extreme, particularly since if you enter it a command prompt
> "manually" you get a basic error message!

> Of course, this did cause me to learn a whole lot about single user
> mode and remounting readonly file systems, so maybe it wasn't all bit
> <sick grin>.

> - Mark

Could it be a DNS lookup on a subsequent ipchains command?

1. Bug report bounced + bug report

Hi,

by the 2.2.23 documents, but got a bounce message:
                       The Postfix program

    no data record of requested type

Here is the bug report:

Subject: Cannot boot Compaq Smart Array 532 with grub on 2.2.23

Hi,

Well, subject says it all really. Here is a (minimal) patch:

--- main.c.orig Fri Feb 28 15:56:54 2003

        { "sdn",     0x08d0 },
        { "sdo",     0x08e0 },
        { "sdp",     0x08f0 },
+       { "cciss/c0d0p",0x6800 },
+       { "cciss/c0d1p",0x6810 },
        { "rd/c0d0p",0x3000 },
        { "rd/c0d1p",0x3008 },
        { "rd/c0d2p",0x3010 },

Cheers,

Han Holl

-

2. X starts but does nothing

3. Unconfirmed bug reports in my bug database

4. Disaster & Recovery Plan

5. BUG REPORT: bug in eepro100.c driver

6. Any program out there can be tested with g++ ?.

7. Ipchains DROP target reporting with 2.4.x kernel

8. rexec as in HP-UX and AIX

9. GUI for ipchains log reports

10. Reporting IPChains Log File for monitoring

11. Newbie Report: KDE bug in Redhat 6.0?

12. Problem with CMD64X and ACPI (bug report)

13. Defect (Bug) Report