ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms

ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms

Post by Frampton Steve » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

I'm in need of a VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle
SQL*Forms; it needs to either run under Linux/Unix or else be
an old DOS-based application that I can try running under
"dosemu" (a Windows-based app through Wine would not be
suitable, however).

I'm either looking for an Open Source solution (read: free), or
else something from Digital that my place of employment can get
through the Campus-Wide Software License.

Someone suggested "kermit", but unfortunately I don't know the
key-bindings for the various forms application keys (ie. Menu,
Commit, Find, etc.).  I've tried other supposed VT320 emulators
native to *nix as well -- but found them compliant in the very
loosest sense of the world!

Years ago I used something which I believe was called "setterm"
or "sethost" (the name escapes)... a DOS-based application from
Digital which I believe would fit the bill quite nicely through
dosemu -- but I can't find that software, and my organization
has *long* since discarded all that old DOS-based software media.

I've searched for a suitable solution several times in the past
but I'm still unable to use Forms-based applications from within
a *nix telnet session.  ;-(

*Surely* somebody out there is using a *nix-based system to
communicate with a Vax-based Oracle application server who would
be able to hand me a clue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------

ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms

Post by Walter Harm » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello:
>I'm in need of a VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle
>SQL*Forms; it needs to either run under Linux/Unix or else be
>an old DOS-based application that I can try running under
>"dosemu" (a Windows-based app through Wine would not be
>suitable, however).

basicly i should be possible to use the key-bindings in xterm. I have
the same problem but the solutions i got didnt work for me (didnt understand
why) but i havnt looked at the problem now for a while.

        walter

--
-----
"I am a highwayman, madam."

:
: I'm either looking for an Open Source solution (read: free), or
: else something from Digital that my place of employment can get
: through the Campus-Wide Software License.
:
: Someone suggested "kermit", but unfortunately I don't know the
: key-bindings for the various forms application keys (ie. Menu,
: Commit, Find, etc.).
:
MS-DOS Kermit includes a VT320 emulator.  A regular VT320 key map
is distributed with version 3.14:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

If MS-DOS Kermit works for you under Linux, then you can map the
keys however you want.  As you probably know, a VT320 terminal does
not have keys labeled Menu or Commit, so you'll need to find out
what Oracle expects each key to send.   This will be true for any
emulator you look at.

: Years ago I used something which I believe was called "setterm"
: or "sethost" (the name escapes)... a DOS-based application from
: Digital which I believe would fit the bill quite nicely through
: dosemu -- but I can't find that software, and my organization
: has *long* since discarded all that old DOS-based software media.
:
: I've searched for a suitable solution several times in the past
: but I'm still unable to use Forms-based applications from within
: a *nix telnet session.  ;-(
:
: *Surely* somebody out there is using a *nix-based system to
: communicate with a Vax-based Oracle application server who would
: be able to hand me a clue?
:
UNIX is not a great platform for terminal emulators, since applications
do not have direct access to the screen buffer or to the keyboard.

- Frank