NFS exports

Post by Harley L. Waagmeest » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Does linux provide a method by which I might query a host for the
"anyone" mountable file systems described in it's  NFS export file?

Sig
.

NFS exports

Post by Ian Camer » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Does linux provide a method by which I might query a host for the
>"anyone" mountable file systems described in it's  NFS export file?

Try using the command 'showmount'

Using 'showmount --exports the.nfs.host.net'  should show you the
exported file systems on a given host.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian.

1. NFS export: trouble exporting read/write

I've seen a similar problem with slackware 1.1.1 (0.99.14).  I believe
it to be a bug somewhere in the ftp code, though I haven't found the
error yet.

I find that if I have two entries in /etc/exports, the permissions
of the second also apply to the first!  E.g.

/foo    15.13.170.118(rw,insecure)
/bar    15.13.170.118(ro,insecure)

makes both foo and bar read-only while

/bar    15.13.170.118(ro,insecure)
/foo    15.13.170.118(rw,insecure)

allows both to be mounted read-write (obviously a security hole!).
(Note that from a client I can successfully write to the ro volume).

I've traced through auth-init (inside mountd) which parses
"/etc/exports", and it seems to build the permissions structures
correctly.

I've tried tracing through the actual mound process, but I ran
out of time before I could find anything.

I don't think the (only) problem could be on the client, since the
server is allowing me to modify a volume I should not be able to.

My possible errors:
        - To use gdb on mountd, I had to recompile from nfsd-150.tar
(though both my sources and the binary identified themselves

        - More worrisome, I had to kludge up some links from
i386-linux/2.3.3 to i486-linux/2.4.5 (I couldn't figure out how to get
slackware to give me the right libraries).  When I installed my
recompiled mountd as rpc.mountd, however, I still get the same
behavior.

Hope this helps someone who's better at debugging networking.

                                        - Dave Holt

2. iptables problem - trying to DNAT smtp

3. NFS exporting exports

4. Cisco Firewall

5. NFS exports only works when exported to *the whole world* !

6. Linux and Java CLASSPATH

7. nfs clients don't see other mounts under nfs export

8. ipchains rules working only first time

9. RH 6.0, automount NFS exported disks?

10. NFS export over more file systems

11. NFS export from Linux to NeXTSTEP file creation errors.

12. nfs exporting

13. NFS export to special network/netmask