need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card [REPOST]

need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card [REPOST]

Post by richard wel » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

[i previously posted this to comp.os.linux.setup and haven't
gotten any direct answers yet -- does anyone have any suggestsions? -- rpw]

well, i put the PC together yesterday, and at this point everything
looks good except for the ethernet setup.

AMD K6-166, ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard

i have an SMC EtherPower 10/100 (SMC 9332BDT)

distribution is the Slackware 96 CD rom

the software sees the ethernet card, but when i try and ping a local
name server, all i see is the card switching between 10Base T and 100 Base T
(eventually this card will be plugged into a 100 Base T setup, but right
now i'm using 10 Base T.)

i've used this RJ45 cable before for a visitor who had a linux laptop,
and i checked the lights on both the card and on the hub, and they're
both pretty happy looking campers, showing just what i expect.

any suggestions, anyone?

thanks,
  richard
--

Krusty Motorsports                            North American Motorsports Pages
http://www.krusty-motorsports.com/              http://www.na-motorsports.com/

need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card [REPOST]

Post by richard wel » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>AMD K6-166, ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard
>i have an SMC EtherPower 10/100 (SMC 9332BDT)
>distribution is the Slackware 96 CD rom
>the software sees the ethernet card, but when i try and ping a local
>name server, all i see is the card switching between 10Base T and 100 Base T
>(eventually this card will be plugged into a 100 Base T setup, but right
>now i'm using 10 Base T.)

well, i got it working, temporarily...

the kernel on teh Slackware 96 CDRom that i have is 2.0.0; it turns out
that the tulip driver included has a lot of problems. i aquired the
latest version of tulip.c (0.76, alpha test) from

 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/

and recompiled the kernel; the board came right up.

24 hours later, it's back to the old tricks; it cycles endlessly
between 10BaseT and 100BaseT. do the SMC cards have a history of
infant mortality problems? did i get a flakey board?

i'm at a loss right now; i don't even know if i should be looking at hardware
or software issues.

any suggestions, anyone?

richard
--

Post by p.. » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

ackware 96 CD rom

>>the software sees the ethernet card, but when i try and ping a local
>>name server, all i see is the card switching between 10Base T and 100 Base T
>>(eventually this card will be plugged into a 100 Base T setup, but right
>>now i'm using 10 Base T.)

>well, i got it working, temporarily...

>the kernel on teh Slackware 96 CDRom that i have is 2.0.0; it turns out
>that the tulip driver included has a lot of problems. i aquired the
>latest version of tulip.c (0.76, alpha test) from

> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/

>and recompiled the kernel; the board came right up.

>24 hours later, it's back to the old tricks; it cycles endlessly
>between 10BaseT and 100BaseT. do the SMC cards have a history of
>infant mortality problems? did i get a flakey board?

>i'm at a loss right now; i don't even know if i should be looking at hardware
>or software issues.

>any suggestions, anyone?

>richard
>--

I have the netgear (bay networks) that also use the dec chipset and have found
that by not specifying a gateway, the cycling stopped.  Still cannot get a connection
between my computers.

The interesting thing is that after doing a ping, "netstat -ni" shows that activity
was with the loopback mode and not the ethernet card!!!  using the 0.76 tulip.c
module....

Post by richard wel » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>well, i got it working, temporarily...
>the kernel on teh Slackware 96 CDRom that i have is 2.0.0; it turns out
>that the tulip driver included has a lot of problems. i aquired the

>24 hours later, it's back to the old tricks; it cycles endlessly
>between 10BaseT and 100BaseT. do the SMC cards have a history of
>infant mortality problems? did i get a flakey board?

after an upgrade to 2.0.29 and setting the appropriate flags
in tulip.c, it's working somewhat reliably now.

cheers,
  richard
--

Krusty Motorsports                            North American Motorsports Pages
http://www.krusty-motorsports.com/              http://www.na-motorsports.com/
      "If it's not an urban legend, I'll eat a bug" -- Lazlo Nibble

1. need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card

[...]

2. 2.5.56 power off oddity

3. Need help with an SMC EtherPower PCI card!!

4. Mouse won't move cursor under X

5. Help: Net installation bootdisk for 2940UW and SMC etherpower PCI card

6. telnetd, ftpd, etc.

7. DEC 21*40 SMC EtherPower 8432 PCI newer card supported?

8. Samba, ipchains

9. driver for SMC EtherPower PCI net card

10. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Card (Model: SMC8432BT Chipset: DEC21041)

11. Ethernet card detection problems (RH7, SMC EtherPower II PCI (9432))

12. Support for smC 8432e etherpower PCI card

13. Setting up SMC EtherPower PCI card