/var/tmp/.pop files

Post by David Lewi » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

What are the files in /var/tmp/.pop for?

Sometimes, not always, when a user logs in via POP3 to get his messages
from Sendmail, it gives him no messages but puts a file with his username
on it in that directory.  The file has his messages in it.  what is
happening
here?

--
1+ residential LD, 6.9 cents - http://LD.net/6.9/dlewis

1. problem with persistent /var/tmp/.pop files

Hello I am am experiencing a problem where my users are being locked out
from reading mail because sendmail is creating a lock file in the
/var/spool/.pop directory and not deleting it.

These lock files are created to prevent multiple processes accessing the
same mail file however they are crashing about 5 times a day.  The average
users receives 50 - 100 messages a day.

The users are using Eudora light or Pro running on a Win 95 peer2peer
network and the sendmail is running on a copy of Slackware 2.0.29.

Could some please advise.

Obi Nwosu

2. shared library filename

3. Newbie: booting 3.2.5 from tape

4. how to change screen resolution under solaris 9 CDE ?

5. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

6. Problems with AlphaPC164UX/533MHz and RPM

7. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

8. Why is there /tmp in addition to /var/tmp.

9. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?

10. difference between /tmp and /var/tmp?

11. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?