Routing question...

Post by Cokey de Perci » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've just gotten a cable modem and because it is part of a beta program,
I still have my dialup isp.  I plan to keep the dialup through the end
of the beta program and switch my mail as I can.

I have diald running on my server for my isp and I've built a little
486/100 (no drive, keyboard, video & 20M of memory) using the LRP (Linux Router
Project) as my gateway to the cable modem.  No services, just NAT
firewalling and routing.

Now here's the problem.  I'd like to be able to route any direct requests (pop3)
for my dialdup isp's mail server out through ppp and send everything else out
through the gateway.  All pop3 requests for the dialup isp will come from the
server; i.e. the same box the dialup stuff is on.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:

Routing question...

Post by Coredu » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've just gotten a cable modem and because it is part of a beta program,
>I still have my dialup isp.  I plan to keep the dialup through the end
>of the beta program and switch my mail as I can.

>I have diald running on my server for my isp and I've built a little
>486/100 (no drive, keyboard, video & 20M of memory) using the LRP (Linux Router
>Project) as my gateway to the cable modem.  No services, just NAT
>firewalling and routing.

>Now here's the problem.  I'd like to be able to route any direct requests (pop3)
>for my dialdup isp's mail server out through ppp and send everything else out
>through the gateway.  All pop3 requests for the dialup isp will come from the
>server; i.e. the same box the dialup stuff is on.

You may not have to. It's likely that you can access your dialup ISPs pop3 server
via your cablemodem. Try it when you are not dialed in. As long as your local routing
setup will send out packets to the isp's ip addresses thru the cable modem, it should
work.

John

--

http://www.enteract.com/~coredump
Dodging pot-holes on the Information Superhighway

Routing question...

Post by Cokey de Perci » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >I've just gotten a cable modem and because it is part of a beta program,
> >I still have my dialup isp.  I plan to keep the dialup through the end
> >of the beta program and switch my mail as I can.

> >I have diald running on my server for my isp and I've built a little
> >486/100 (no drive, keyboard, video & 20M of memory) using the LRP (Linux Router
> >Project) as my gateway to the cable modem.  No services, just NAT
> >firewalling and routing.

> >Now here's the problem.  I'd like to be able to route any direct requests (pop3)
> >for my dialdup isp's mail server out through ppp and send everything else out
> >through the gateway.  All pop3 requests for the dialup isp will come from the
> >server; i.e. the same box the dialup stuff is on.

> You may not have to. It's likely that you can access your dialup ISPs pop3 server
> via your cablemodem. Try it when you are not dialed in. As long as your local routing
> setup will send out packets to the isp's ip addresses thru the cable modem, it should
> work.

Unfortunately AFAIK worldnet only allows you to attach to their pop
servers from within their network.  If I could, that would certainly
solve the problem.  I'll give it a try just to be sure.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:

Routing question...

Post by Malwar » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Cokey,

> Now here's the problem.  I'd like to be able to route any direct requests (pop3)
> for my dialdup isp's mail server out through ppp and send everything else out
> through the gateway.  All pop3 requests for the dialup isp will come from the
> server; i.e. the same box the dialup stuff is on.

Just lookup the IPs of the servers of your dial-up ISP you want to use
and add host routes with no gateway pointing to the slip/ppp (don't know
diald still does use this slip trick) device. You might have to set the
routes in ip-up to the ppp-Interface and in ppp-down to the slip
interface again. If possible you might want to aggregate the host routes
into a smaller amount of routes.

Malware

Routing question...

Post by root » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Yep, good ole' Worldnut...

What you should do is lookup the IP addresses of their POP servers and decalre a host route
out the PPP interface.

route add -host <your_pop_servers_host_name> dev ppp0
route add -host <your_smtp_server_host_name> dev ppp0

That should do it...  You may want to put the above in your /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script

> > >I've just gotten a cable modem and because it is part of a beta program,
> > >I still have my dialup isp.  I plan to keep the dialup through the end
> > >of the beta program and switch my mail as I can.

> > >I have diald running on my server for my isp and I've built a little
> > >486/100 (no drive, keyboard, video & 20M of memory) using the LRP (Linux Router
> > >Project) as my gateway to the cable modem.  No services, just NAT
> > >firewalling and routing.

> > >Now here's the problem.  I'd like to be able to route any direct requests (pop3)
> > >for my dialdup isp's mail server out through ppp and send everything else out
> > >through the gateway.  All pop3 requests for the dialup isp will come from the
> > >server; i.e. the same box the dialup stuff is on.

> > You may not have to. It's likely that you can access your dialup ISPs pop3 server
> > via your cablemodem. Try it when you are not dialed in. As long as your local routing
> > setup will send out packets to the isp's ip addresses thru the cable modem, it should
> > work.

> Unfortunately AFAIK worldnet only allows you to attach to their pop
> servers from within their network.  If I could, that would certainly
> solve the problem.  I'll give it a try just to be sure.

> Best

> Cokey

> Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:

1. Routing question, how to duplicate route table in new distro?

I got help with making pppoe work in fedora core 3, now to get masquerade
working, I need the same routing table added to fc3. Here is my exisiting
route table from rh9:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
65.14.252.2     *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth1
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
eth1
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
default         65.14.252.2     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
ppp0

I am not good with adding routes, how could this be done in fedora core
3? I used the firestarter wizard to get masqerading done and that is how
I got setup in redhat 9, firestarter clogs up the syslogs with usless
traffic info, would rather not use firestarter anymore. Thank you.

--
~Ohmster
ohmster at newsguy dot com

2. 2.5.33 - Unresolved symbols in arch/i386/kernel/apm.o - depmod: cpu_gdt_table

3. ipnat/routing question: Two default routes?

4. Most economical SCSI: Future Domain TMC850?

5. advanced routing question (squid/policy based routing)

6. DLT drive dump parameters

7. tcp/ip routing question - overriding default route down the line?

8. a great resource for Unix professionals

9. Routing / gated, routed questions

10. routing question - is it possible to route based on destination port of the packet?

11. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

12. routing question

13. Appletalk routing questions