pppd demand dialling Not quite right...

Post by Serg » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've got pppd demand dialling working.
The Slck7 Box uses a modem
and phoneline for internet connection.
(if not connected and someone on the local
network wants net access it automatically dials.)

Now, I've set up the box to run a firewall
script on ip-up and to flush all the rules on ip-down.
This works ok, but....if now someone on the local
network wants net access, the box does NOT automatically
dial, it just sits there. Until I telnet to the box (not even connect)
and the box starts to dial again....

Any glaring mistakes?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Serg...

pppd demand dialling Not quite right...

Post by Dan » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

When you say 'flush all the rules', do you mean that it flushes the IP-MASQ
rules?
If you do this then dial-on-demand won't work (nor will any masquarading).
Why do you need to flush the rules, anyway?

Dan

---
Microsoft advises regarding the use of their flagship relational database
server...
Note: Because SQL Server does not support user-defined triggers on system
tables, it is recommended that no user-defined triggers be created on system
tables.

Quote:> Hi there,

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>When you say 'flush all the rules', do you mean that it flushes the IP-MASQ
>rules?
>If you do this then dial-on-demand won't work (nor will any masquarading).
>Why do you need to flush the rules, anyway?

>Dan

If an interface (ppp0) is used for the MASQ, there is no need to take it
down unless the same modem is used for both dialin and dialout.  I just
leave MASQ up all the time and I can connect to my ISP with static IP or
freewwweb with dynamic IP without any problems.  Although, I typically
just use my demand script for my normal ISP.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

pppd demand dialling Not quite right...

Post by Dark » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

as for the when the pppd dial when the you telnet to it , its due to your
slack 7
does not reconize your intratnet machine,
put your intranet machine inside /etc/hosts

Quote:> Hi there,

> I've got pppd demand dialling working.
> The Slck7 Box uses a modem
> and phoneline for internet connection.
> (if not connected and someone on the local
> network wants net access it automatically dials.)

> Now, I've set up the box to run a firewall
> script on ip-up and to flush all the rules on ip-down.
> This works ok, but....if now someone on the local
> network wants net access, the box does NOT automatically
> dial, it just sits there. Until I telnet to the box (not even connect)
> and the box starts to dial again....

> Any glaring mistakes?

> Any ideas anyone?

> Cheers
> Serg...

1. pppd demand; dialing and dialing

I am relatively new to linux.  Have 2 Win98 and 1 linux server, as the
gateway on RH 6.1, networked, using pppd demand dialing.  Works good,
sometimes too good. Some of the time, all is well i.e. it will sit
waiting for traffic for a day or two with no automatic dialing out
unless requested.  But at times the linux machine will dial every 12
minutes without a call from any machine.  I normally leave all running
24/7.  There is no indication in /var/log/messages as to what brings
the dialing up. once up, it holds the line for the idle time set in
the script then disconnects.  12 minutes later, it starts again.

The only way I have found to stop the cycle once it starts, is to
bring all three machines down, bring the linux machine up first, then
the two W98 machines up one at a time (must be in that order) and
every thing seems to work fine sometimes for hours, sometime for days
then the cycle starts again.

Any and all help or ideas would be appreciated.

I can post the scripts used to start pppd if anyone thinks that might
be the problem, but since it works good part of the time, I don't
think that's the problem.

TIA for your interest and help.
Errol

2. Viruses and Linux (no flames please)

3. PPPD demand keeps dialing and dialing

4. X on Zeos ColorNote 486?

5. demand dialing, how to hang up phone but not disconnect pppd

6. ksh88 print bug

7. demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

8. Swedish newbie page

9. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

10. RE-dialing SLIP/PPP (not dial on demand)

11. mail not quite working right

12. My Lovely Openwin... not quite right.

13. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)