count traffic of web services

Post by Fabian Liener » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:30:46

Dear Network Gurus,

I am doing several web hosting on debian with ssl, so each customer has
its own ip address.

I am asking myself if it is sufficient having an iptables incoming accept rule
on each ip on port 80 and 443 for counting all the traffic that went
throught each ip addresses.
With iptables -L -v I can count the traffic:
  1706  102K ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             <ip-address>
tcp dpt:www state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    47  2820 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             <ip-address>
tcp dpt:https state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Do I do not need any outgoing rule? I think as long as I am connected to a webserver,
the connection on the server is at port 80 or 443 and the data flows back to me throught
the connection, I started.

What about counting traffic of qmail on <ip-address>? Incoming would be the same as above
on port 25, but what if qmail is sending mails? In this case I have to think about
outgoing traffic, right?

Thanks for help in advance!
Fabian Lienert

1. WEBS: Int'l Corporate Web Service Providers Mailing List

Announcing the WEBS mailing list.

As of now we are a loose organization of companies providing professional
information services to the Internet community (primarily web service)
and more specifically consulting companies interested in getting involved
with the Internet.

The list is to work as a line of communication for providers with similar
desires and needs.  We can and should discuss anything relevant to our
professions.  In particular, I would like to see discussions revolving
around coalition building in the face of up and coming large corporate
intervention into our market.  But the list belongs to everyone.

Topics should include Internet security issues, digital cash, standard
development and of course the future of our profession and electronic
commerce.  But the list is not to be limited.  It is what we make it.

To subscribe to the list please send email to:

        Body of message:  subscribe webs

To send a message to the entire list send email to:

If you know of anyone who has any questions please have them send email to:

Please feel free to spread the word to interested parties.  The more
discussion we have the stronger we will become.  If the most we get out of
this group is a healthy discussion of how we can pull in the same direction
it will be worth my while.

Thank you.

Matt
Midex Group

2. RPC problems with nfsroot and kernel 2.2.x, help needed!

3. count ethernet traffic

4. h.sernet@cti.ac.at

5. Traffic counting

6. awk script to extract info from a report

7. counting traffic to individual hosts behind a NAT router using ONLY iptables

8. Informix & FreeBSD - anyone done it

9. How to setup SNMP on linux to count network traffic ?

10. Counting traffic on multiple ip adresses ?

11. Counting NON-IP & BROADCAST traffic ?

12. Traffic count?

13. help: traffic count in network with Linux