DEC depca ethernet card recognized by Linux?

DEC depca ethernet card recognized by Linux?

Post by Georg Schwa » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

I've got an old 8 bit Ethernet card from Digital, which according to the
FCC ID and to
http://www.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/~schwarze/nt/karten/net13.html appears to
be a DEC depca. Booting Linux 2.2.9 with Lance support compiled in it is
not recognized, even when supplying lilo with ether=5,0x300,0xd000,eth0
(those are the values jumpered according to the above web page).
The LEDs do not light up either.
Is there anything I could still try?

--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Post by John Oliv » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

>I've got an old 8 bit Ethernet card from Digital, which according to the
>FCC ID and to
>http://www.veryComputer.com/~schwarze/nt/karten/net13.html appears to
>be a DEC depca. Booting Linux 2.2.9 with Lance support compiled in it is
>not recognized, even when supplying lilo with ether=5,0x300,0xd000,eth0
>(those are the values jumpered according to the above web page).
>The LEDs do not light up either.
>Is there anything I could still try?

Sure!  Throw that old POS away and buy a new card? ;-)

Seriously, why would you want to*around with that prehistoric
NIC?

Post by Georg Schwa » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

>Sure!  Throw that old POS away and buy a new card? ;-)
>Seriously, why would you want to*around with that prehistoric
>NIC?

because it's easier to use that one than to go and buy a new one. I now
found that all it took was to include depca support in the kernel (pretty
obvious, but I seemed to have been on the wrong track because of that
AM7990/Lance thing). I just booted the new kernel, and it's autodetected,
works on the spot. NFS and amd are fine with it. A quick test gave me a
download speed of 210 kByte/s. Should be enough for a 386DX25 with MFM
disks :-).
So, seriously, why should I want to*around with a new NIC?
(which, if it is a cheap one, might not even be jumper configurable) :-)

BTW, your newsreader seems misconfigured as far as your address is
concerned.
--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://www.veryComputer.com/~schwarz/

Post by John Oliv » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

>>Sure!  Throw that old POS away and buy a new card? ;-)

>>Seriously, why would you want to*around with that prehistoric
>>NIC?

>because it's easier to use that one than to go and buy a new one. I now
>found that all it took was to include depca support in the kernel (pretty
>obvious, but I seemed to have been on the wrong track because of that
>AM7990/Lance thing). I just booted the new kernel, and it's autodetected,
>works on the spot. NFS and amd are fine with it. A quick test gave me a
>download speed of 210 kByte/s. Should be enough for a 386DX25 with MFM
>disks :-).

Very good then!  Your first sentence gave me a start, though, given
the problem you were having... :-)

Quote:>So, seriously, why should I want to*around with a new NIC?
>(which, if it is a cheap one, might not even be jumper configurable) :-)

AAMOF, I haven't seen a NIC with jumpers for *quite* some time... new
or otherwise.

Quote:>BTW, your newsreader seems misconfigured as far as your address is
>concerned.

Nope, it's properly configured!  I don't get any spam this way.  And I
like to keep all my Usenet discussions in Usenet.

DEC depca ethernet card recognized by Linux?

Post by Dave Perro » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

What kind of DEPCA? is it the original 8 bit card with the mouse support or
a DE100,DE200 style card? (Look on the plate where the connector is it
should tell you there).

You need to be aware that where it goes on the bus is important, it won't
work unless it's contiguous with other cards on the bus.

I have a linux box with a DE100, DE205 and an NE2000 compatible all running
okay (kernel 2.2.2). the DE100 is irq5 io0x300 address D000 same as yours.

> I've got an old 8 bit Ethernet card from Digital, which according to the
> FCC ID and to
> http://www.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/~schwarze/nt/karten/net13.html appears to
> be a DEC depca. Booting Linux 2.2.9 with Lance support compiled in it is
> not recognized, even when supplying lilo with ether=5,0x300,0xd000,eth0
> (those are the values jumpered according to the above web page).
> The LEDs do not light up either.
> Is there anything I could still try?

> --

2.6ui)