Force pppd to report actual connection speed, instead of local port speed

Force pppd to report actual connection speed, instead of local port speed

Post by removethi » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I noticed that pppd reports the local port speed which is set to
115200. May I know how to set it to report the actual line connection
speed? (which is not 115200, my modem is a 56K only)

Thx!

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

1. how to get ACTUAL connection speed in bps (ie: 33600) from pppd???

Hi:

Has anyone figured out how to get pppd to return the actual modem line
speed in bps? I am dialing into
my university to obtain a ppp connection and I would like to pipe the
connection speed to a file in /etc/ppp.
I can get pppd to output my serial line speed to a file by placing 'echo
$3 > /etc/ppp/speed' in
/etc/ppp/ip-up but this only gives me the speed that I have set my
serial line to (ie: 115200). When I dial
into the university and establish a link the university system says 'hi'
with a header that includes the
actual line speed (ie: 33600 bps).  This is the number I want to pipe to
/etc/ppp/speed. I guess I could get
the line speed by using the 'debug' option for pppd and then searching
the /var/log/message file for the
university's header but I was hoping there was an easier way. Any
idears?

Much Thanks,
Matt

Thanks again.

2. cdrom on ISA buss

3. Speed..Speed..Speed

4. Install xntp on Solaris 2.1

5. Clustering - Network Speed vs Local Bus Speed

6. CDROM SUPPORT

7. No dialup connection speed report from chat

8. OpenBSD experience on iMac

9. How to speed up connection establishement with pppd?

10. how to speed up connection-establishement with pppd?

11. pppd connection speed howto know?

12. actual answers and development speed

13. Ports and Connection Speed