Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

Post by Thomas Jackso » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:47:51

   Anyone happen to know where I can find information on networking a Redhat
8.0 machine with a Windows 2000 machine on a network where:

Windows 2000 sees internal LAN fine
Windows 2000 sees outside world fine

Windows 2000 obtains IP address automatically
Windows 2000 obtains DNS server address automatically
DHCP Enabled

In an environment where linux wants to have its own static ip number and
specified domain name, how do i get it to share its hard drive contents with
this windows 2000 machine?

Anyone got any helpful ideas or websites??? Help is much appreciated..

Thomas Jackson

Post by Shaun Marol » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:05:45

>    Anyone happen to know where I can find information on networking a
>    Redhat
> 8.0 machine with a Windows 2000 machine on a network where:

> Windows 2000 sees internal LAN fine
> Windows 2000 sees outside world fine

> Windows 2000 obtains IP address automatically
> Windows 2000 obtains DNS server address automatically
> DHCP Enabled

> In an environment where linux wants to have its own static ip number
> and specified domain name, how do i get it to share its hard drive
> contents with this windows 2000 machine?

> Anyone got any helpful ideas or websites??? Help is much appreciated..

> Thomas Jackson

I do every thing you are asking using Mandrake Linux 9.1 and Samaba
2.2.8a.
You did not specify how you connect to the Internet (Modem, Cable, DSL,
T1 etc.) Which machine connects directly to the Internet?

You're correct that at first Linux prefers Static over Dynamic IP
addresses you can still configure it as a Dynamic system and it will work
fine.

Linux can be both a DHCP and a DNS server on your network without to much
trouble.

--Shaun