Slip Connection

Post by mulderba » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:11:54

Hi all,

I established a slip connection between a linux machine and dos
machine wtih the commands below..

 slattach -p slip -s 9600 /dev/ttyS0 &
 ifconfig sl0 linux_ip_addr pointopoint dos_ip_addr netmask
255.255.255.0
 route add dos_ip_addr sl0

SLIP connection is configured as linux_ip_addr at linux machine end
and dos_ip_addr at the dos machine end. I can ping dos machine from
linux machine. (I have a program running in dos machine to reply ping
packets.) But i cannot ping dos machine from other computers on the
network. I am new to networking in linux. Should i add new entries
into routing table or solution is something else?

Slip Connection

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 23:27:05

> I established a slip connection between a linux machine and dos
> machine wtih the commands below..
>  slattach -p slip -s 9600 /dev/ttyS0 &
>  ifconfig sl0 linux_ip_addr pointopoint dos_ip_addr netmask
> 255.255.255.0
>  route add dos_ip_addr sl0

This will provide only communication between the hosts on either end
of the SLIP connection.

Quote:> SLIP connection is configured as linux_ip_addr at linux machine end
> and dos_ip_addr at the dos machine end. I can ping dos machine from
> linux machine. (I have a program running in dos machine to reply ping
> packets.) But i cannot ping dos machine from other computers on the
> network. I am new to networking in linux. Should i add new entries
> into routing table or solution is something else?

You should also have

1)  dos_ip_addr belong to the same network as linux_ip_addr.
2)  IP forwarding in the Linux kernel and turned on.
3)  proxy arp set up on the linux host for the dos host.

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:    http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/
/* All the world's a net!  And all the data in it merely packets
   come to store-and-forward in the queues a while and then are
   heard no more.  'Tis a network waiting to be switched!
           -Vint Cerf, RFC 1121 */

1. SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help

Let's start by assuming I'm a slightly knowledgeable Linux user and an
absolute novice when it comes to networking (especially with Linux). I want to
connect to my university's SLIP server using Linux and DIP. I've read over the
DIP Networking Guide and was able to get my modem to dial to the SLIP server,
but that was about it. Pinging was fruitless and I'm plain stuck.

What do I need to know? My hostname/domainname, SLIP server's names and IP
addresses? What files do I need to modify on my Linux box? And so on. In other
words, I'm asking someone to hold my hand through all this from the beginning
setup to the final product. I have Netscape 3.0b and I'd mainly like to ftp,
telnet, use elm for mailreading, and perhaps some nn newsreading use.

Once I have a good connection, I can make my way through these tools. If
there's anyone sharp with the use of DIP to connect to a SLIP server, I'd
certainly appreciate their help via email or in this newsgroup.

Many thanks,
Gregg Casillo

2. modules.dep is older than modules.conf

3. PPP/SLIP connection from NT to SCO Unix through direct cable connection

4. Installing RRedHat On the Compaq XL5133

5. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

6. my cdrom is going wrong with my new debian 1.3.1

7. What is the going rate for a SLIP connection?

8. {Q} LaTex

9. newbie (Q) PPP and SLIP connections

10. SLIP connection problems

11. NetBSD ftp install over slip connection?

12. Help: SLIP connection!

13. Help me with SLIP connection...PLEASE