How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2

How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2

Post by Wilson La » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am using a Win. 95 PC connecting to Redhat Linux 4.2 with Firewall option
enabled and I have setup user account in the Redhat's mail server.
I have tried to receive Internet mail from my desktop but return with error
message.
Then I check the Redhat's system log and find an error:

syslog:error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/ipop3d: No such file or directory

It is ture that we don't have such file or directory in the mail server.
I would like to know is there any way/setting/software that allow me to
receive Internet mail via the mail server running on Redhat 4.2.

Thanks !

Post by Soren Riis » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> syslog:error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/ipop3d: No such file or directory

All you need to do is to install the package imap 4.1 from your RH CD.

Quote:> ...receive Internet mail via the mail server running on Redhat 4.2.

You also have to make sure that the internet mail somehow gets redirected to
your Linux machine.  I assume you already go that bit sorted.

Soren

Post by Mark K » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> syslog:error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/ipop3d: No such file or directory

>All you need to do is to install the package imap 4.1 from your RH CD.

>> ...receive Internet mail via the mail server running on Redhat 4.2.

>You also have to make sure that the internet mail somehow gets redirected
>your Linux machine.  I assume you already go that bit sorted.

For this part - I once used fetchmail - it seem to work fine...
Quote:>Soren

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. Strange IDE disk errors: "VFS: wrong blocksize"

3. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

4. cant get ddd installed & working

5. Unix mail to internet mail via network

6. ssh2 port is BROKEN

7. sendmail : cannot receive mail from some domains (mail server timeout)

8. Inconsistent behavior with WP/Linux. Problems with common file filters.

9. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

10. QMail collecting mail via Peg/win95 clients

11. Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

12. Win95 client to internet via proxy of SCO server

13. Mail server can't accept mail in boardband internet