A clone() based WWW server for Linux is here!

A clone() based WWW server for Linux is here!

Post by Jeffrey Gustafs » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

        Here we go!  http://www.veryComputer.com/;My
favorite web server is running again on Linux...  and it's clone()
based!  Here's what Jim (developer at AOL) has to say about it:

--------------
Now you have to do me a favor.  After you alpha test this wonderful new
Linux port and we officially post in on the beta Web site, please advertise
it on the various Linux newsgroups.  If we don't get much interest, it will
get dropped again.  I'm hoping to get enough interest to convince people
here that Linux is now robust enough that we can actually add it to the list
of supported ports which people can buy support contracts for.  The absolute
best case would be for Linus himself to get e*d about it as an example
of an intense clone-based multithreaded application.  I'd think he'd be
interested - with gobs of threads, open files, and signal flying everywhere,
it's no small load on the kernel!

As for AOLserver 2.1, the gold date is scheduled for Sept. 15.  All I've
been doing lately (aside from Linux) is wacking out bugs - it's going to be
a good release.

Cheers, -Jim

--------------

        So this is a real live clone based program to pound the kernel
with!  To get it go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
register.
        Hopefully this program will help make Linux even better!  Jim had
some things to say about how threads work in Linux.  All in all he thinks
it's great!  But I thought I'd post part of the message to help get things
going.  NOTE: He DOES know how to fix the open file limit (it's covered on
the aolserver web site.

---------------------
[deletia]
p.s.  Just so you don't go away thinking Linux is infallible, I'll let you
know two down sides compared to Intel Solaris.

First, Linux only supports a maximum of 256 open files per process which
could be a problem for a site with many virtual servers or simultaneous
downloads.  By comparison, Solaris supports something like 4096 open
files.
[problem fixed: http://www.veryComputer.com/#linux -ed.]

Second, clone()'ed threads are heavier weight and slower to create than
Solaris threads.  Now this is the same problem we have on the SGI port and
no one has complained, mostly because AOLserver has a whole lot of fancy
code to maintain pools of threads to avoid clone'ing or sproc'ing in the
first place.  However, this architecture still results in a lower total
limit on the number of threads, on order hundreds instead of thousands.  Of
course with just 256 open files the point is moot on Linux but we do think
about it quite a bit on SGI.

Honestly I don't think either one of these problems is significant for most
sites and I'm guessing we'll see enhancements to Linux which address both of
them within the next year or so.  Just something to keep in mind.
_______________________
 Jim Davidson

 Voice: (805) 882-2350
 Fax:   (805) 899-4316

-----------
        The LinuxThreads author has been in contact with Jim and has said
that he wants to implement some sort of caching scheme to help make thread
creation faster.  If you want to experiment with threads AOLServer is the
program to do it with!

--
Jeffrey Gustafson

Technical Resources Group
Packard Bell Electronics, Inc.

Post by Henning Brockfel » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>         Here we go!  http://www.aolserver.com/server/2.1beta.html.  My
> favorite web server is running again on Linux...  and it's clone()
> based!  Here's what Jim (developer at AOL) has to say about it:

Looks good, but will there also be a port of Illustra?

  CU Henning
--

Institut f"ur Wirtschaftsgeographie          Universit"at M"unchen

http://www.wigeo.bwl.uni-muenchen.de/~hbrock/