FTP error : can't build data connection !!!!

FTP error : can't build data connection !!!!

Post by Floren » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

i have a problem to establish the data connection wiht the File Transfer
Protocol. i did the control connection with a simple socket but for the
data connection it's a little more difficult. so i use the FTP command :
"PORT" to specifie on which port the server must try a connection and i do
2 listen socket on ports i specified. but i have the 425 error : can't
build data connection : connection refused !!!! so it means that i don't
listen on right port ? i tested with telnet and my 2 listen sockets are ok
so i don't understand.
maybe i didn't understand how work the FTP i dunno
please help me it's very important thanks anyway ...

1. FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

I've been stumped by this problem for weeks now.  When I connect to our
FTP server from most boxes, we're able to connect but not able to open
any data connections...

230 User XXX logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp>

If I connect from a machine with the same domain as the target FTP
host, it works fine.  One of our machines is on a completely different
network than this box, and it connects fine.  other machines on
remote networks get the error above.

I assumed this was a problem in /etc/hosts.allow, but I think my
configuration is correct...

   ftpd : localhost : allow
   ftpd : ALL : allow

Since I can FTP from machines on either side of the firewall, I'm
assuming this isn't an issue (the firewall seems to be unaware of
which domain it is part of).

This is under FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE.

Any ideas?

Bob

2. sed/awk : need just the first column in a multi-column file

3. FTP error 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out

4. Anyone created sulogin for Linux?

5. FTP: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

6. OpenGL

7. ftp: ``Can't build data connection: Transport....''

8. the compress binary

9. ftp client, "Can't build data connection"???

10. FTP: "425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out." ????

11. 425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused