telnet logins running slower and slower...

telnet logins running slower and slower...

Post by Southeastern Computer Service » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I have a linux server running Redhat 6.1 and it has been up for about a year
now.  I'm having a problem with telnet.  When someone telnets to the server,
it connects right away, but takes 20 seconds or so for the login prompt to
be displayed.  Any suggestions on how to solve this problem or where to
start?

telnet logins running slower and slower...

Post by cyberte.. » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a linux server running Redhat 6.1 and it has been up for about
a year
> now.  I'm having a problem with telnet.  When someone telnets to the
server,
> it connects right away, but takes 20 seconds or so for the login
prompt to
> be displayed.  Any suggestions on how to solve this problem or where
> start?

I had a similiar problem happen to me.  Basically the problem was caused
the machine that I was connecting to wasn't able to do a DNS lookup on
the IP address of the machine that was trying to connect.

Client.client-domain.com -----> Server.server-domain.com

The machine Server was running it's own DNS and when it couldn't find
Client in it's own cache it went looking for the client-domain.com DNS
servers.  But this is where the firewall blocked it.  So it would sit
and wait until the lookup request timed out before finally giving the
"login:" prompt.

Help this helps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Marius Aamodt Erikse » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a linux server running Redhat 6.1 and it has been up for about a year
> now.  I'm having a problem with telnet.  When someone telnets to the server,
> it connects right away, but takes 20 seconds or so for the login prompt to
> be displayed.  Any suggestions on how to solve this problem or where to
> start?

Check your reverse DNS, many times this may affect the login times.

Marius.

1. PPP gets slower and slower

I am using KPPP with Mandrake 9.0, dial-up with an internal Conexant-based
modem with the correct RPM from the Conexant project site.

As a session progresses, the time to connect gets slower and slower.  I can
usually get to "starting pppd", but the next stage times out with Exit
Status 10, even with the time allowed set to maximum.

Any ideas? TIA.

Doug.

2. REPOST: Multiplatform Data Compression for Linux (freeware)

3. Server getting slower and slower. Why?

4. USB network card

5. Workshop 4.2 -> 5.0 -> 6.0 slower and slower...

6. stupid host name from my cable modem?

7. logout gets slower and slower!

8. finding boot block on external disk (newbie)

9. cable connect.slower&slower->dead

10. dselect ftp errors; PPP 2x slower than Win 95; root telnet login

11. After computer room power failure 3800 running sybase running appreciable slower.

12. PPP & FTP vs Telnet (<- this is much slower)

13. telnet from Window to Linux Server slower