Problems Networking Windows95 and Linux

Post by Vi » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,
I have two Computers on a small peer to peer LAN, and would like to
get them networked, however I am having great difficulty doing this. A
lot of people have been confusing me about using TCP\IP and SMB. I
would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could please help in
setting up TCP\IP correclty on my Win95 machine as well as getting it
right on the Linux box, and secondly the easiest and simpest way to
get Samba going.

Anyone help would be most greatly appreciated

P.S Im a linux newbie so plz excuse my stupididty with the whole
situation

Many Thanks

Problems Networking Windows95 and Linux

Post by David Traver » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

Step 1 - First Win95.
----------------------------

I take you have the network card installed and recognised by Windows.

Open the Control Panel and click on the Network icon.

Make sure the Network adapter appears, TCP/IP is installed and binded to the
network card.

You should also have Microsoft Client installed and File and Print Sharing
enabled.

You will probably want to manually set the IP address as you will not have a
DHCP server.

Use IP Address 192.168.1.1   and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Restart PC.

Occe started, got to MS-DOS box and type

                ping 192.168.1.1

You should recieve a response. If not you will require more help in settings
up Win95 network.

Linux requires more work to setup you will want to be in the same subnet so
use IP address 192.168.1.2 for the linux box and subnet address
255.255.255.0

Read the HOWTO's from the Linux Documentation on how to setup Ethernet and
Samba as this is to detailed to explain here.

>Greetings,
>I have two Computers on a small peer to peer LAN, and would like to
>get them networked, however I am having great difficulty doing this. A
>lot of people have been confusing me about using TCP\IP and SMB. I
>would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could please help in
>setting up TCP\IP correclty on my Win95 machine as well as getting it
>right on the Linux box, and secondly the easiest and simpest way to
>get Samba going.

>Anyone help would be most greatly appreciated

>P.S Im a linux newbie so plz excuse my stupididty with the whole
>situation

>Many Thanks

1. Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

Hello!

I would like to install Redhat Linux 5.2/Sparc on a  Sun SS2 via my
Windows95/98 peer-peer network. I would have loaded RH Linux on a
CDROM drive, but the only SCSI I could find at work is not compatible
with the SS2. I'm fairly new to unix in general - I have limited
experience with shell accounts at my previous school. And I'm very new
to the Sparc2, as I just picked it up recently.

I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish the install. The
Sparcstation2 is running Solaris 2.5.

My questions are -

1) How do I setup the SS2 under Solaris 2.5 for the correct network
settings for my LAN? (ie, I would need to set it as 192.168.150.4)

2) Once I download RH 5.2/Sparc onto one of my Windows98 PC's, how to
I get the Sparc2 to retrieve it and begin installation?

Thanks greatly for your help!

2. managing passwd on two systems

3. Howto Drive a Windows95 Network with Linux

4. Please Help! cpp (c pre prepressor)

5. Printing from Windows95 on SCO Merge to a remote Windows95 printer

6. ROUTER_ALERT and IP Forwarding

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. automount at startup

9. Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH

10. Q: Windows95 and Linux Partition Problem

11. windows95 DUN/linux samba/tcp problems?

12. problems with connection to linux with ftp client on windows95.

13. : problem bootmanager Windows95/Linux