Redhat 6.1 with 3C905B adapter & DHCP not working

Redhat 6.1 with 3C905B adapter & DHCP not working

Post by mgilib.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
I have just installed Redhat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12) on my PC, having a
3C905b adapter. It should be getting its address from a DHCP server
on the network. On the same PC, I have NT 4.0 installed and it works:
the network card gets its address from the DHCP server.
I have tried to configure it with linuxconf, specifying DHCP for this
network interface (in fact I already tried to set up the box for DHCP
when I first installed Redhat, but it didn't work). I've tried
downloading the specific driver from 3COM, but to no avail (leaving
alone that they didn't build it for the 2.12.20 kernel !!).
When using linuxconf and trying to start the interface, I see it
looks like it is sending a broadcast, looking for the DHCP server, but
it gets nowhere. It is not a problem of the DHCP server, since a fellow
colleage on the same network, with Redhat 6.1 and a 3C905 adapter
experiences no problem getting an address from the server.
Does anyone know what could be wrong ?
Thank you all in advance and happy Y2K

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

--
Open Concept International, Inc
3324 Parsons Road                       Voice 780.434.2363

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Problems with DHCP on 3C905B NIC in a Del Optiplex GX1 with Redhat 6.1

Hi,
I have a problem trying to have an Dell Optiplex GX1 box with a 3C905B
adapter and Redhat 6.1 get an address from a DHCP server in my network.
After I set up everything, it won't get a address from the network. If
I try to start eth0 manually, I can see by issuing a netstat -nr that
it is really launching a broadcast to the network, but it doesn't go
further. It is incapable of getting an address from the server.
It is a problem with DHCP, because I put in a static IP address and
all the config stuff and eth0 starts correctly (I get connected to the
network). At the same time, the box has also a NT partition with DHCP
that works fine.
I think there must be a problem with the DHCP client. Any suggestion
(I am using kernel 2.2.14).
Thank you so much

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. why does rh do this? ...

3. Problem with DHCP and 3C905B NIC on a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Redhat 6.1

4. How to determine whether a pointer deref will cause a segment violation

5. 2xSCSI adaptor works on NT not Linux Redhat 6.1??

6. Can′t install C++ under Linux 6.1

7. dhcp works with Mdk 6.1 but NOT with Mdk 7.2

8. AIX 4.3.2 Configuration Question

9. DHCP, iptables & Redhat 9 (not working)

10. "route del" is not working in Redhat 6.1

11. RedHat 6.1 sound works on X console, but not on X remote

12. S3 Trio 3d Server not working on 6.1 redhat

13. Redhat 6.1: man -k does not work