Network is ok?? What do I do next???

Post by Armon » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network seems
to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
would
want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

Thanks all

rah

Network is ok?? What do I do next???

Post by Armon » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network seems
> >to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
> >the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
> >machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
> >find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
> >something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
> >would
> >want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
> >to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

> I am not familiar with KDE, but can kfm do ftp?  Otherwise there is always
> ncftp or good old fashioned ftp if there is no kftp (gnome has gftp).  But
> you cannot ftp as root.  Best to copy files over as a normal user and then
> install them as root.

> If you want to get your laptop on the internet, see the /docs in
> /usr/doc/ipchains and make sure that the internet box has no default route
> other than to the internet.  The laptop should point to the LAN IP of the
> inet box as default gw.

> --

> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Thanks David, that at least helps me get started.   So I need to log in each
box as normal user.  Wonder why can't do it as root?

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network seems
>to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
>the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
>machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
>find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
>something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
>would
>want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
>to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

I am not familiar with KDE, but can kfm do ftp?  Otherwise there is always
ncftp or good old fashioned ftp if there is no kftp (gnome has gftp).  But
you cannot ftp as root.  Best to copy files over as a normal user and then
install them as root.

If you want to get your laptop on the internet, see the /docs in
/usr/doc/ipchains and make sure that the internet box has no default route
other than to the internet.  The laptop should point to the LAN IP of the
inet box as default gw.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Network is ok?? What do I do next???

Post by patrick.them.. » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network
seems
> to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
> the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
> machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
> find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
> something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
> would
> want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
> to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

> Thanks all

> rah

i *think* what you want is create a share on your laptop  and mount it
on the desktop ( or vice versa)
you can either create a nfs share, and mount it as nfs-filesystem,
or create a sambashare, and mount it as smb-fs.

theres howto on both http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

after both, you can use your kfm ( or any other ) like you use the
explorer,
that is drag and drop files from one machine to the other.
(tkdesk is a bit limited here)

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Network is ok?? What do I do next???

Post by Mike Schopp » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You can ftp to one of your systems as root by removing root from the
/etc/ftpusers file.  Just remember to put it back in, especially if you
are connected to the internet.

Mike Schoppe

> > >I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network seems
> > >to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
> > >the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
> > >machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
> > >find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
> > >something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
> > >would
> > >want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
> > >to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

> > I am not familiar with KDE, but can kfm do ftp?  Otherwise there is always
> > ncftp or good old fashioned ftp if there is no kftp (gnome has gftp).  But
> > you cannot ftp as root.  Best to copy files over as a normal user and then
> > install them as root.

> > If you want to get your laptop on the internet, see the /docs in
> > /usr/doc/ipchains and make sure that the internet box has no default route
> > other than to the internet.  The laptop should point to the LAN IP of the
> > inet box as default gw.

> > --

> > http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> > http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

> Thanks David, that at least helps me get started.   So I need to log in each
> box as normal user.  Wonder why can't do it as root?

Network is ok?? What do I do next???

Post by Mihir A Wagl » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

NFS is the way to go. mount a directory from one computer on another...

CHeck the NFS-HOWTO...

Mihir Wagle
--------------------------------------

Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off.

> I have a laptop and a desktop installed with RH 6.1.  The network seems
> to be ok, can ping each other and even connect via telnet.  Now here's
> the question.  Can I simply  move and copy files between the two Linux
> machines as I can between two  NT 4.0 machines.  I can't seem to
> find a simple way  to do this such as with NT's explorer.  Can kfm do
> something similar.  I've download a lot of bug fixes for RH 6.1 and
> would
> want to copy them to my notebook and update Linux.  Sure would hate
> to have to download them again from the Web to my notebook.

> Thanks all

> rah

1. modprobe fails, but insmod ok- what am I doing wrong?

Hello,
I've been using the LFS documentation and the Boodtdisk howto to put
together a floppy based linux router. So far I have been able to get
it to boot and show up a bash prompt and get syslogd running.

I'm having a problem with modules, however. My NE2000 clone card is
supported by ne.o.

I have a complete, working system which I am using to build this
floppy based thing. I have the following in conf.modules of the
working system, as well as for the floppys.

alias eth0 ne
options io=0x300 irq=10

The /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep has these lines :

/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/ne.o: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/8390.o
/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/8390.o

My boot up sequence is as follows:

boot kernel.
oad compressed rootfs from another floppy.

insert utility disk, and make links to the utilities from their
rightfull places.

start syslogd

start klogd

bring up lo

add a route for lo
----Here it starts to fail.
bring up etho
add route for etho
add default route through eth0

Now, the bringing up of eth0 fails.

At the bash prompt when I do modprobe eth0,

I get
8390: No such file or directory

/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/ne.o: /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/8390.o

Now if I do

insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/8390.o
it does not say anything

Then,
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/ne.o  io=0x300 irq=10
stays quitet

Finally,
ifconfig eth0 up

appears to work and I see the interface under ifconfig.

Why can't I do modprobe eth0 and have it loaded? Just what am I
missing here?

kernel is compiled with all the kernel module options set to yes.

Any hint or help or suggestions most welcome.

thanks
joseph

2. SCO Professional on OSR 5

4. Why when connected with modem screen is not right?

5. OK, Now I've done it-Networking?

6. Porting FAQ

7. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

8. Drivers for a Sony Discman CD-ROM drive?

9. Linux, NeXT and DOS

10. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

11. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

12. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

13. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?