Checking speed of dual speed network card

Checking speed of dual speed network card

Post by Richard Chur » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have installed a two dual speed network cards linking a Windows and
a Linux machine directly. There are Realtek 8139s. Is there a way of
finding out if they are running at 10Mhz or 100Mhz?

Checking speed of dual speed network card

Post by burnt-ka » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Most NIC's capable of 100Mhz operation will have a led on the back of them
that lights up for 100Mhz operation.

Incidentally-- if either you don't have a 100Mhz-capable hub, or ANY part of
your network is 10Mhz <other NICs, etc...> then you most likely will never
see 100Mhz. I guarantee you won't if your hub doesn't support it.

Quote:

> I have installed a two dual speed network cards linking a Windows and
> a Linux machine directly. There are Realtek 8139s. Is there a way of
> finding out if they are running at 10Mhz or 100Mhz?

1. network card speed check command

Short answer:

  /sbin/mii-tool

For quick summary of mii-tool options, use
  /sbin/mii-tool -?

Longer answer:

A great site with enhanced ethernet tools is
http://www.scyld.com/diag/

Many ethernet drivers are on the same site, at
http://www.scyld.com/network/

The mii-diag tool on that site is great. There is also
a pci-config utility that you can use to snoop your
PCI bus.  You might also try out some tools designed
specifically for your particular ethernet adapter.

Cheers,
John

If you reply using my first name instead of the
obvious spam trap in my email address, then your mail
will make it past my first-layer spam filter.

2. switch/case and \r...

3. lsof for FreeBSD 2.0 and RISCos 4.52 now available

4. Speed..Speed..Speed

5. urgent! php3 + php4 into apache_1.3.14

6. Clustering - Network Speed vs Local Bus Speed

7. Touch Screen Monitor

8. check network speed and duplex without mii-tool and ethtool

9. check network speed

10. checking the speed and mode of an ethernet card

11. chip speed in multiples of bus speed

12. download speed is faster than upload speed with ftpd+term?