The newbie ask sth. again again...

Post by Xiaodong L » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

How to access floppy disk  and CD-ROM under Linux?(e.g., copy some files
in and out)
Thanks in advance.

xia,
11/30/1999

The newbie ask sth. again again...

Post by Tom East » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>How to access floppy disk  and CD-ROM under Linux?(e.g., copy some files
>in and out)
>Thanks in advance.

Two things:

a) Your questions have nothing to do with Linux networking. Why did you post
   on a newsgroup devoted to that topic?
b) You don't say what distribution you are using but whatever it is, you
   should post on one of the groups that is aimed at beginners using that
   distribution.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Post by broke » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

 >How to access floppy disk  and CD-ROM under Linux?(e.g., copy some files
 >in and out)
 >Thanks in advance.

This is off topic, so from now on, I'd post it in a nother ng.  But you're a
newbie..and we all were at one point, so I'll help 'ya out this once :)

okay, unlike windows, you cannot just click on a drive, you have to mount it
first.  (actually windows does mount them, but its automatic)

okay, here is how to mount the cdrom (assuming ide)
hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = second master
hdd = second slave

okay, for me (you will have to make changes)
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
This is how you mount the cdrom

# mount -t [fs type] /dev/fd0 /mnt/cdrom
This is for the floppy
okay, to get to the files on the disk

the directory /mnt/cdrom contains the cdrom, and /mnt/floppy --the floppy.
you may need to make these directories if they do not already exsist.  You
could also mount them in something compleatly different.

Hope this gets you on the right track..