pppd dialing twice to connect?

Post by Daniel Bai » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded two different RH6.0 systems to RH6.1 and now the ppp0
connection, on both, dials twice to connect.
I think it was doing this on one system even back on RH6.0 but the other
never did it until now.
What is going on here?
It dials and the modems handshake and then it runs the chat script then
hangs up and redials and does everything again but stays connected the
second time?
Both systems have different ISP providers.
It does work, it just takes longer to connect.

Anyone got any ideas?

Daniel

pppd dialing twice to connect?

Post by Simon B. Nielse » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I think the error is in initscripts - /sbin/ppp-watch, but I'm not sure. And
yoes it really dials twice, but only the first time after booting.

Simon

Quote:> I upgraded two different RH6.0 systems to RH6.1 and now the ppp0
> connection, on both, dials twice to connect.
> I think it was doing this on one system even back on RH6.0 but the other
> never did it until now.
> What is going on here?
> It dials and the modems handshake and then it runs the chat script then
> hangs up and redials and does everything again but stays connected the
> second time?
> Both systems have different ISP providers.
> It does work, it just takes longer to connect.

> Anyone got any ideas?

> Daniel

pppd dialing twice to connect?

I noticed the same behavior on my system , Redhat 6.1

Post by Rob Visse » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I noticed the same behavior on my system , Redhat 6.1

> > I upgraded two different RH6.0 systems to RH6.1 and now the ppp0
> > connection, on both, dials twice to connect.
> > I think it was doing this on one system even back on RH6.0 but the other
> > never did it until now.
> > What is going on here?
> > It dials and the modems handshake and then it runs the chat script then
> > hangs up and redials and does everything again but stays connected the
> > second time?
> > Both systems have different ISP providers.
> > It does work, it just takes longer to connect.

> > Anyone got any ideas?

> > Daniel

Hello,

I had exactly the same problem.
I solved it by changing the /etc/wvdial.conf into:

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATM0L0
SetVolume = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Init4 = ATM0
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATM0L0
SetVolume = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Init4 = ATM0

Instead of:

Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
SetVolume = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Init4 = ATM0
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
SetVolume = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Init4 = ATM0

Don't ask me why this helps.
The only real difference is that the DTMF tone duration is longer.

Hope this helps you also

Rob

--
--------------------
Rob Visser

http://www.p-c-d.org

Post by Matt Goodal » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I upgraded two different RH6.0 systems to RH6.1 and now the ppp0
> connection, on both, dials twice to connect.
> I think it was doing this on one system even back on RH6.0 but the other
> never did it until now.
> What is going on here?
> It dials and the modems handshake and then it runs the chat script then
> hangs up and redials and does everything again but stays connected the
> second time?
> Both systems have different ISP providers.
> It does work, it just takes longer to connect.

> Anyone got any ideas?

> Daniel

Get the ppp update from the redhat site.

--
Matt Goodall             |  Isotek Electronics Ltd

Tel: +44 113 2343202     |  Leeds, LS7 1NL
Fax: +44 113 2342918     |  England