Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

Post by John FX Bern » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

I have an ethernet network, a Netware 3.12 file server and a mixture of
Linux, Mac and DOS/Windows PC's.

My most urgent need is simple "drag & drop" file sharing between the Mac
and the Linux box to exchange HTML and misc. graphics files for Web
authoring.  We primarily use the Mac because the name-space matches the
Linux name space more closely.

Is the best way to mount a Linux NFS file system on a Mac?

I am also open to the possibility of mounting the Netware server as an
NFS volume on the Linux box w/ Netware NFS and exchanging files that way,
but will I get stuck with an 8.3 name-space?  The doc's I saw weren't
clear but implied this limitation....

And, anybody have any suggestions for better ways to convert Mac text
files to Linux text files (the ^M, CR/LF thing..)?  I heve yet to see an
elegant solution...

John FX Berns
FX Multimedia

www.fxmm.com

Join CAIS: The Chicago Area Internet Society, for info:
http://www.fxmm.com/cais/

Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

Post by Bao C. » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have an ethernet network, a Netware 3.12 file server and a mixture of
> Linux, Mac and DOS/Windows PC's.

> My most urgent need is simple "drag & drop" file sharing between the Mac
> and the Linux box to exchange HTML and misc. graphics files for Web
> authoring.  We primarily use the Mac because the name-space matches the
> Linux name space more closely.

> Is the best way to mount a Linux NFS file system on a Mac?

I use Cap 60 pl 192 with the linux patch from eats.com.  It allows
a Linux machine to provide an Apple Share volume to the Mac.

To go the NFS way, you will need to get a commercial NFS client
(and server) for the Mac side.  I don't think there is a free
or shareware one.

Quote:> I am also open to the possibility of mounting the Netware server as an
> NFS volume on the Linux box w/ Netware NFS and exchanging files that way,
> but will I get stuck with an 8.3 name-space?  The doc's I saw weren't
> clear but implied this limitation....

> And, anybody have any suggestions for better ways to convert Mac text
> files to Linux text files (the ^M, CR/LF thing..)?  I heve yet to see an
> elegant solution...

I use Fetch 1.2.1 to do ftp between the Mac and Linux.  The text
file conversion is done automatically.  Nacsa Telnet 2.6 can also
do the same thing seamlessly.

Bao

--

Nuclear chemical engineer by day, Linux hacker by night and weekends.