Pinging AT1700s produces 100 duplicate pings

Pinging AT1700s produces 100 duplicate pings

Post by Richard S. Pa » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I recently got two AT1700 Ethernet cards.  They seem to work, except when I
ping one machine from the other, I get about 100 duplicate pings for every one
that goes through.  After the first ping, the duplicates go out in succession
until the transfer times takes about 1000 milliseconds per ping.

This curious phenomenon takes place on both machines. I have tried all possible
IRQs (3, 4, 5, 9) with no change.  I can't figure out if this is a hardware
problem or a software problem.  In the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 script, I call
ifconfig to match the IP address to eth0, then I call route to route packets
to the network address.  Each machine can ping its own IP address.  All the
network functions such as rlogin and rcp work, but I know I'm getting really
lousy performance, based on the results of the ping.

I seem to have no luck with network cards.  I initially bought AT1500 cards,
but I was having bus mastering conflict problems, so I switched to the AT1700s.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate any
comments.

Thanks.

1. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. 1.3.61 breaks WWW-browsers (over Term link)

3. Ping 100% loss, 100% frame errors - help!

4. SMC vs real 16550A ?

5. Ping localhost: 0 packets received, 100% packet loss RedHat 6.2

6. slow SANE through the network

7. 100% packet loss on ping -- PPP/Slackware

8. Can't live without EDT!

9. ping, 100% loss

10. ping 100% loss; arp -a blew up!

11. Blade 100 can′t ping

12. PCMCIA Netelligent 10/100 (xirc2ps_cs) does not ping

13. PPP, ping and 100% packet loss