Connecting Linux to Windows NT 4.0 via PPP

Connecting Linux to Windows NT 4.0 via PPP

Post by Dale S.Laushma » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Why is this so difficult?  I call into the TCP/IP enable, non MS-CHAP RAS
modem on my NT server with Linux PPP and
no negotiation happens over the modem.  I have tried CHAP, PAP, and +ua on
pppd but all have failed.  Any words of
wisdom??

Dale

Connecting Linux to Windows NT 4.0 via PPP

Post by Roderick Groesbe » Sun, 27 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Why is this so difficult?  I call into the TCP/IP enable, non MS-CHAP RAS
>modem on my NT server with Linux PPP and
>no negotiation happens over the modem.  I have tried CHAP, PAP, and +ua on
>pppd but all have failed.  Any words of
>wisdom??

So little information, so much to guess... :-)

PLS give us some debug information about the Negotiation (the NAK's etc..)
"pppd ..... debug"

I will do a wild guess now...
I believe NT RAS is installed with its default that all clients
should connect using the MSCHAP.

You can choose between CHAP, PAP, ... Oblidged encryption, Possible
encryption, etc.....

So fix it on your NT site.
But it is maybe a lot easier to download from "ftp.track.nl/pub/src"
the 'pppd2.3.0.tgz' that understands MSCHAP.
[I had fixed it in say 20 minutes... (kernel had to be recompiled... PPPD
 recompile...)]

Roderick
---
Alkmaar Linux Promoter

>Dale

#######
Problem Detection:   LINUX PPPD + PPP KERNEL <----> NT RAS
1. Start pppd with "debug" enabled.
   e.g. "# pppd /dev/modem 38400 debug ...<options>"
2. Look in youre "/var/log/debug" file for the following entries...
   Receiving:
[ Could also be "<auth chap msoft>" with the old pppd. I am not sure.. ]
   Sending:
"sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x2 <auth chap 05>]"
   [Standard PPPD is lacking Microsoft Chap protocol and signals it
    by sending "<auth chap 05>"]

If all is positive... you are dealing with a NT RAS server,
and *THAT* server is using MS-CHAP 80 protocol.
[snip]
######