brcfg to block TCP/IP packets over Linux bridge?

brcfg to block TCP/IP packets over Linux bridge?

Post by Daniel Ka » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have bridging enabled but I would like it only to pass *only* IPX packets
and nothing else. Right now it's shoving everything across it back and
forth. Someone told be the brcfg can be used to block certain types of
packets. Or is there another way? Thanks.

Dan
--

brcfg to block TCP/IP packets over Linux bridge?

Post by Tobias Reckhard (jest » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have bridging enabled but I would like it only to pass *only* IPX packets
>and nothing else. Right now it's shoving everything across it back and
>forth. Someone told be the brcfg can be used to block certain types of
>packets. Or is there another way? Thanks.

It can?! I'm not using it myself, so I can't tell you anything from
personal experience, but a bridge shouldn't be able to distinguish
level 3/4 protocols, since it's on level 2 itself. I mean a bridge
should not be able to tell a TCP/IP from an IPX/SPX or a NetBEUI or
whatever packet. If you want to enable IPX only, use ethernet frame
802.3, which can only be used by IPX/SPX. I'm not sure how you set the
frame type in Linux, though, I'm afraid, I've often wondered about
that myself, but maybe I should just look at the Ethernet HOWTO.

HTH
Tobias

1. ethernet bridge bridge (brcfg), help!

I'm trying to set up a bridge between a 100basetx and 10baset network.
For right now I'm testing it with both cards in 10baset mode between 2
computers.  Both cards are set up and detected fine, if config just
lists 0.0.0.0 as their ips, and brcfg lists both cards as its ports.
I can't see the computer on the other side of the bridge though.  I've
read the bridgeing mini-howto, and done what it says..  with the
excepion of the thing about how to remove the IP adderesses from the
interfaces (I'm running slakware, their example is for redhat)
although I did comment out the eth0 stuff in rc.inet1

 Anyone have any ideas? :)

to prevent spam

2. ldt handling on smp

3. How to convert TCP/IP packet to IPX packet and visa-versa ?

4. memory leak

5. IP Packet filtering ethernet bridge on Linux?

6. question about switching to a fresh kernel tree

7. [Fwd: IP Packet filtering ethernet bridge on Linux?]

8. How to convert TCP/IP packet to IPX packet and visa-versa ?

9. Tracing TCP/IP packets from NIC to TCP

10. TCP/IP: Slow packets every so often, even with the TCP patch.

11. Linux as an NFS (TCP/IP) / Netware bridge?

12. Linux box as an AppleTalk-TCP/IP bridge?