Can't Open Display After KPPP (Fine with Wvdial)

Can't Open Display After KPPP (Fine with Wvdial)

Post by Habibie4 » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

My Linux computer runs SuSE-6.1 distro with knet-1.1.1-14 package and is
setup with KPPP to go online.  The only problem I am facing is that
after the connection and the KPPP windows is stowed on the top bar, I am
no longer able to run any X apps, i.e. executing any X apps will give
the following error message:

   Xlib: connection to "localhost:0.0" refused by server
   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
   Error: Can't open display: localhost:0

After finishing online, i.e. KPPP terminated, I am able to execute any X
apps with no problem.  This problem does not happen if I use wvdial
instead of KPPP.

If you know how to fix this problem, I certainly will appreciate a
response.  Thanks.

--

PS. Please remove 4m from the e-mail address should you decide to
respond.

1. wvdial works, kppp doesn't !

Hi,

I am having trouble with kppp under SuSE 6.2. My system is as follows.

Celeron 333
Gigabyte GA-6BXE motherboard
voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics card
linux installed on hda with win98 on hdb
Topic 56k external modem on com1

Having installed linux, I tried to make a dial up connection. Using wvdial,
after setting
up my username, password, IP address etc... I had no trouble making a PPP
conection
with my service provider.

So far so good.

Then tried the same with kppp (1.16.10 I think, on KDE 1.1.1), but I always
end up with
the message 'NO CARRIER' before any number is dialled. Can anyone suggest
what could be
the problem. I haven't made any special changes to wither program.

Thanks

Chris

Remove 'nospam.' to reply

P.S. I can attempt to post my config files, but when I do, my modem hangs
(in win98 AND linux)!!

2. documentation for LaTeX

3. kppp - won't connect to my ISP, but wvdial will

4. Need Help with RS/6000 and InfoWindowII 3153

5. wvdial works, kppp doesn't!

6. (no subject)

7. Connect fine via Kppp, but no 'net apps work...

8. GnuPGP problem

9. Can't open display, though DISPLAY defined...

10. Problem: 'can't open display'-error message

11. xhost: Can't connect - even if DISPLAY is fine

12. kde v3.1 runs fine, but won't open Help files

13. Can't open WMV or JPG from Windows share, but MPG and AVI work fine