20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

Post by Robert McFarla » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Howdy all....

Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.

I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of course
no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(

Any suggestions/pointers to on-line info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

P.S.  Please supply model information if replies include references to
specific hardware :)

20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

Post by Steve Dab » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

I rteccomend the cyclades 32 port card. Works perfectly.
: I recommend the cyclades 8ys 8-port serial card.  Costs under $200 (Promox,
: calif.)  Nice ;-)

: : Howdy all....

: : Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
: : Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.

: : I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of course
: : no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(

: : Any suggestions/pointers to on-line info would be GREATLY appreciated.

: : Thanks in advance,
: : Rob

: : P.S.  Please supply model information if replies include references to
: : specific hardware :)

: --
: Bryan Levin

:               LINUX: the choice of a GNU generation

20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

Post by Colin Fra » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

I like the Comtrol RocketPort series better.  Costs more (I got mine for
under $350) but it is a very fast inteligent board.  It has an onboard
processor and needs no interrupts.  You can therefore stack 4 of them
together without running out of IRQ's.

It lets you go beyond 115kbps so it is very ISDN ready.
Drivers         ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/distributions/comtrol
More info       http://www.comtrol.com

Colin...

Post by Jerry Normandi » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

> Howdy all....

> Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
> Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.

> I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of course
> no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(

> Any suggestions/pointers to on-line info would be GREATLY appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

> P.S.  Please supply model information if replies include references to
> specific hardware :)

The BEST wat to add 20 modems to a Linux ISP server or any other
platform for that matter (Sun, SGI, SCO) is to use a 24 port Livingston
Portmaster.  This device is a router designed for a modem pool.
It has Ethernet, v.35, and 24 v.34 connections.  They go for about
$1,200.00 each.  The only other way is to dedicate a seperate machine
and install 2 16 port digiboards.  But that is an expensive appproach.
The Livingston Port Masters Rule.  Connect your Linux web Server, News
Server, ppp server.   I do this all the time.

Post by john burt » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

 > Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
 > Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.
 > I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of
 > course no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(
 >
 > Any suggestions/pointers to on-line info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Aim your browser at
        http://www.cyclades.com

If you're going beyond 16 serial ports (as indicated above you are).. IMHO
you'll want a RISC-managed system...  Cyclades is your answer...  Support
is included in the Linux's kernal, so that should be a non-issue...

HopeItHelps

                                --==jb==--

 john burton                             The SANDBOX ** MultiLine TBBS

                                         +1.405.737.9540

Post by Markus Gutsch » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

>  > Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
>  > Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.
>  > I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of
>  > course no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(
> If you're going beyond 16 serial ports (as indicated above you are).. IMHO
> you'll want a RISC-managed system...  Cyclades is your answer...  Support
> is included in the Linux's kernal, so that should be a non-issue...

Actually, it might be a good idea to split the load between multiple
machines. It has been reported that PPP can cause quite a high load on
the server, thus it might not be such a bad idea to use one machine
for -- say -- four modem ports. The price of computers have drop so
much, it is worthwhile considering a redundant environment.

Markus

Post by Mark F. Sanderso » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

> Howdy all....

> Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
> Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.

Call up a company called 'Lantronix'  they make an inexpensive terminal
server that can be used as a modem pool driver.  Their software is
included in source form, and I don't think that there is any reason why
it won't compile on linux.  It includes PPP, SLIP, LAT and enough modem
control lines to make it happen . . .

Quote:

> I have been scanning numerous web pages (cisco, usr, ascend...) but of course
> no real compatibility information/pricing is listed :-(

> Any suggestions/pointers to on-line info would be GREATLY appreciated.www.lantronix.com

> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

> P.S.  Please supply model information if replies include references to
> specific hardware :)

No, I don't work for them.  I have had nothing but good luck using their
 hardware and they have very responsive tech people.
Mark F. Sanderson

Post by Vidar Hokst » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

: Actually, it might be a good idea to split the load between multiple
: machines. It has been reported that PPP can cause quite a high load on
: the server, thus it might not be such a bad idea to use one machine
: for -- say -- four modem ports. The price of computers have drop so
: much, it is worthwhile considering a redundant environment.

I've had no problems with high load. At most, we had 24 modems hooked up
to a Pentium 120 with 64MB RAM, and the load was usually around 0.04 with
all lines busy. And we could easily have reduced the amount of RAM without
much increas in load - it practically never swapped, and buffered almost all
the programs we used to run... :)

For redundancy however is another matter. but I'd rather recommend a
router. I have no experience with the Livingstone Portmasters, but I'd
suggest either them, or Cisco 2509 (8 async ports) or 2511 (16 async ports)
routers which is what we use here. Much more stable than a Linux box will
be.

--

20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

Post by Ramon Gand » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

Contact http://www.livingston.com and look at their servers and
servers/routers.  The Server / router is about $3000.  It has
10 serial ports ready for modems; an ethernet port, and a T1
or fractional T1 connection.  You hook up your modems, your
line to the Internet and your LAN.  Your LAN has a program
t hat logs in new users adn then patches them  via PPP to the
Internet.  Once a user is logged on, a LAN failure will
not disconnect him.  Thus your Linux boxes are not tied up
as a pass-thru ISP box using a serial multiport card would be.

This is much more versatile and stable.  Your LAn would also have
the WEB servers, E-mail and News servers, etc.  But that is a
different story!

Ramon

: >
: > Howdy all....
: >

Post by Jim Corne » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

>Contact http://www.livingston.com and look at their servers and
>servers/routers.  The Server / router is about $3000.  It has
>10 serial ports ready for modems; an ethernet port, and a T1
>or fractional T1 connection.  You hook up your modems, your
>line to the Internet and your LAN.  Your LAN has a program
>t hat logs in new users adn then patches them  via PPP to the
>Internet.  Once a user is logged on, a LAN failure will
>not disconnect him.  Thus your Linux boxes are not tied up
>as a pass-thru ISP box using a serial multiport card would be.
>This is much more versatile and stable.  Your LAn would also have
>the WEB servers, E-mail and News servers, etc.  But that is a
>different story!
>Ramon

>: >
>: > Howdy all....
>: >
>: > Looking for any cost effective suggestions on how to setup 20 modems on a
>: > Linux box.  Do I want a router...multi-port I/O boards...modem rack...etc.

If you are just looking to add modems try a Computone Intelliserver.
I have two running and now have 32 ports with modems working just
fine.