how to reset ip address for cable modem connection

how to reset ip address for cable modem connection

Post by richard noel fel » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:34:54

I have a cable modem connection with rcn. Occasionally, I the connection
is dropped and to reestablish it, I have to reboot. When this happens on
a windows machine, there is a program called ipconfig (I think) which
allows one to get a new ip address without rebooting.
        Is there a similar program in linux? I am using redhat 7.0.
Thanks,
* Fell

how to reset ip address for cable modem connection

Post by Dave Shiel » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:45:44

ifconfig

> I have a cable modem connection with rcn. Occasionally, I the connection
> is dropped and to reestablish it, I have to reboot. When this happens on
> a windows machine, there is a program called ipconfig (I think) which
> allows one to get a new ip address without rebooting.
>         Is there a similar program in linux? I am using redhat 7.0.
> Thanks,
>* Fell

how to reset ip address for cable modem connection

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:58:15

Hi Richard,

Quote:> I have a cable modem connection with rcn. Occasionally, I the connection
> is dropped and to reestablish it, I have to reboot. When this happens on
> a windows machine, there is a program called ipconfig (I think) which
> allows one to get a new ip address without rebooting.

I am not exactally sure how you are forming your connection with rcn, but you
should be able to re-issue a dhcpcd command or pump command if you are using a
BOOTP approach to getting your IP address.  You might like to take a look at
the DSL-HOWTO (http://www.linuxdoc.org) which outlines how to configure DSL
connections so that they can get their IP address.

Failing that, you might like to look for documentation on pump and dhcpcd.  I
know that it is around the net, although I am pretty sure that the DSL-HOWTO
covers the appropriate commands as well.

There shouldn't be a need to setup the connection everytime with the ifconfig
command and then inserting a route into the routing table.

See ya

Dean Thompson

how to reset ip address for cable modem connection

Post by KW » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:40:42

Pump should do the job....

> ifconfig

>> I have a cable modem connection with rcn. Occasionally, I the
>> connection is dropped and to reestablish it, I have to reboot. When
>> this happens on a windows machine, there is a program called ipconfig
>> (I think) which allows one to get a new ip address without rebooting.
>>         Is there a similar program in linux? I am using redhat 7.0.
>> Thanks,
>>* Fell

1. RedHat 5.1, cable modem & static IP address

I am hoping that someone out there has this working, or can at least
see what I am screwing up.

I am running RedHat 5.1 with a cable modem and my ISP gives me a
static IP so I don't need to configure DHCP.   I have yet to come
across any usenet message (or web page) covering my particular
problem.

I have set up 2 ethernet cards and linux recognizes both of them on
boot up.  I started X-Windows and ran Red Hat's Network Configuration
tool.  I specified my host name, domain name, and name servers on the
first screen.  I then specified my IP addresses, LAN and the one
provided by my ISP, and names on the second screen.  On the third
screen  (Interfaces) I specifed eth0 as my LAN IP and eth1 as the IP
provided by my ISP and set proto to none, atboot to yes, and active to
active, for both interfaces. Under Routing I set Packet Forwarding.

I rebooted my system, and tried to ping anything on the internet, and
kept getting the message "Network Unreachable".   I ran netsat -r to
make sure everything looked ok and the only problem I saw was that the
column for GATEWAY had an * in it for all 3 devices.  I ran Network
Configuration again and tried various iterations of specifying my
gateway IP under the Routing screen.  By various iterations I mean
setting Default Gateway to my gateway IP, rebooting and trying again.
Didn't work, so I tried filling in Interface as eth1 and the IP
address, Netmask and Gateway under Routing, reboot, try again, didn't
work.  Tried specifying eth1 as the Default Gateway Device under
Routing, reboot, try again, didn't work.  Kept trying various
suggestions on different web pages and in the How To's.  Found the
cable modem mini-howto to be less than useful.  It was nice of it to
tell me that my particular ISP provides me with all the necessary
information, but doesn't say what to do with it.

I had linux working as a gateway to the internet for my lan using a
modem and the ppp-scripts, but since I have a static IP I don't see
any reason to setup DHCP or anything.

Does anyone out there have a static IP that can tell me what their
Network Configuration settings are?

Any help is always appreciated.

2. The Pascal-to-C translator: where is source?

3. how to change my ip address on my cable modem.

4. PCI Ethernet support in Linux

5. Finding IP address of remote ethernet device (cable modem)

6. Linux as dedicated DNS

7. Cable modem with multiple IP addresses

8. sendmail problems from Solaris 2.5.1 and OpenVMS running UCX. HELP!

9. RH 7.2, DHCP, LPD and IP Address Cable Modem Problem

10. Cable-Modem and more IP-ADDRESS, PLEASE always Help LINUX

11. IP address setup with cable modems

12. Cable Modem Virutual IP Address Problems

13. Cable Modem with 1 IP address to Home LAN HOW TO