SMTP server to POP server

SMTP server to POP server

Post by themamay.. » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:37:37



Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc.  They are running 2 linux
boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3.  Do to a long

smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
the local pop3 server box.  How do I do that?  Thanks.
 
 
 

SMTP server to POP server

Post by Robert Harri » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:06:35



> Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
> just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc.  They are running 2 linux
> boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3.  Do to a long
> complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them.  So when an

> smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
> the local pop3 server box.  How do I do that?  Thanks.

Well, your smtp server will have something in its configuration that
tells it that doe.com is local; you will have to remove that something.

Robert

 
 
 

SMTP server to POP server

Post by Burkhard Ot » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:22:43


Am Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:06:35 +0100 schrieb Robert Harris:


>> Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
>> just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc.  They are running 2 linux
>> boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3.  Do to a long
>> complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them.  So when an

>> smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
>> the local pop3 server box.  How do I do that?  Thanks.

> Well, your smtp server will have something in its configuration that
> tells it that doe.com is local; you will have to remove that something.

> Robert

or alias the recipient
 
 
 

SMTP server to POP server

Post by Allen Kistle » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 01:01:41



> Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
> just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc.  They are running 2 linux
> boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3.  Do to a long
> complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them.  So when an

> smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
> the local pop3 server box.  How do I do that?  Thanks.

The thing you want to stop doing is a sensible thing.  Stopping it is
not a sensible thing.

If you really want to relay your internal mail though the Internet,
you're going to have to find something on Internet that allows you to do
relaying.  Maybe your ISP will allow you to do it, but no one else
should.  If anyone else allows it, it's because they're misconfigured,
in which case you really don't want to rely on them.  I'd suggest not
relying on them even if they are purposefully open.

 
 
 

1. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

I'm running RH 7.3 on a BookPC, and pretty happy actually
with the look and feel, the easy setup (amazing, RH around 5.x was
actually impossible for me to setup and I ain't no dumby, or am I).
I have POP accounts and SMTP access to those accounts for Mail
and want to use them.  I have got POP working, but the KMail seems
to not allow me to use a remote SMTP, forcing me to use the local
SMTP.  I really want to SMTP login at my mail host service and would
like to know if there is a way to do it.  Otherwise this is a step
backwards for me email-wise.  Thanks, if you would email me directly
I dont read Linux groups much, and really appreciate your help!

Best wishes

2. Help me with "ipfw" please?

3. POP Server (was: SMTP Server)

4. x86s share disks

5. configuring postfix / pop-server for smtp-after-pop

6. X programming...

7. Newbie Needs Help Setting up a POP or SMTP Mail Server

8. Using GDB to process core files

9. Web/POP/SMTP, which servers to use

10. separating a SMTP and POP server

11. POP or SMTP server

12. Setting up a pop / smtp mail server with Redhat 6.1

13. pop and smtp server addresses