AOL Instant Messenger and IP Masquerading

AOL Instant Messenger and IP Masquerading

Post by Robert L. Cochran Jr » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

My Red Hat Linux 6.2 machine provides IP Masquerading for 2 Windows 98 Second Edition machines on my network. The Windows machines run AOL Instant Messenger. Lately, when the Instant Messenger people release an upgrade, you will be notified of the upgrade availability as soon as you sign on to Instant Messenger.

When I sign on to Instant Messenger with the Windows 98 network running (e.g. no Linux masquerading is provided -- I have functional internet connection sharing under both Windows and Linux), Instant Messenger will notify me of available upgrades.

But if I sign on to Instant Messenger using one of the Windows machines and with the Linux machine providing internet connectivity, Instant Messenger will NOT notify me of an available upgrade, even though there is one.

So...do you think I have a problem with my ipchains statements?

Thanks,

Bob Cochran

AOL Instant Messenger and IP Masquerading

Post by Rootma » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hmmm, I logged in to AIM last night on a Win 98 machine hooked to
the Inet through a linux masq box, notified me of an update and
then proceeded to do it.

What rules do you have set?  I have nothing in mine for or again'
 it.  It just works right without any help.

Quote:>My Red Hat Linux 6.2 machine provides IP Masquerading for 2
Windows 98 =
>Second Edition machines on my network. The Windows machines run
AOL =
>Instant Messenger. Lately, when the Instant Messenger people
release an =
>upgrade, you will be notified of the upgrade availability as
soon as you =
>sign on to Instant Messenger.

>When I sign on to Instant Messenger with the Windows 98 network
running =
>(e.g. no Linux masquerading is provided -- I have functional
internet =
>connection sharing under both Windows and Linux), Instant
Messenger will =
>notify me of available upgrades.

>But if I sign on to Instant Messenger using one of the Windows
machines =
>and with the Linux machine providing internet connectivity,
Instant =
>Messenger will NOT notify me of an available upgrade, even
though there =
>is one.

>So...do you think I have a problem with my ipchains statements?

>Thanks,

>Bob Cochran

I am in no way associated with or endorse the following spam
from Keen.com
.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

1. Masquerading and AOL Instant Messenger

Does anyone know if AOL Instant Messenger will work behind a Linux 5.2 box
using masquerading and ipfwadm rules? If it does work, are there any special
items to setup such as ipautofw settings? Someone wants me to come set this
up for them and since I have never tried the AOL IM product I have no first
hand knowledge of whether or not it will work or what I have to do to get it
to work.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. PCI SCSI NCR 810 kernel?

3. AOL Instant Messenger

4. XFree86 vs. Cirrus - attacking Monitor

5. Socks5 & AOL Instant Messenger

6. Cmdtools not working properly

7. Aol Instant Messenger on Masqed hosts (ipchains)

8. releng_4_5 without cvsup?

9. KDE: AOL Java Instant Messenger doesn't work.

10. AOL instant messenger

11. AOL instant Messenger.

12. Ported version of AOL Instant Messenger?

13. AOL "Instant Messenger"